Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold plated trigger idea

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Gold plated trigger idea

I have wanted one of those Diana gold-plated triggers since I first saw them and was wondering if a jeweler could plate one for me, is there any reason that they would not be able to plate a factory trigger?

I’ve had one or two done before. Gold won’t deposit on to any base metal and it was recommended that I got a flash of nickel put on first which is a good “primer” for gold plate. My triggers were steel.

I got it done at a company I used to work for who had an electroplating department. It is possible, just bare in mind it could be a two part process at two different suppliers. It’s unlikely a jewellers will nickel plate.

Cheers
    Greg

Edit: something else that crossed my mind, if the trigger is aluminium it could be gold anodised.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    I’ve had one or two done before. Gold won’t deposit on to any base metal and it was recommended that I got a flash of nickel put on first which is a good “primer” for gold plate. My triggers were steel.

I got it done at a company I used to work for who had an electroplating department. It is possible, just bare in mind it could be a two part process at two different suppliers. It’s unlikely a jewellers will nickel plate.

Cheers
    Greg

Edit: something else that crossed my mind, if the trigger is aluminium it could be gold anodised.
    Thanks for the info, I'll be prepared for a disappointment but I might ask anyway, I think the trigger is steel, I will check with a magnet

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Thanks for the info, I'll be prepared for a disappointment but I might ask anyway, I think the trigger is steel, I will check with a magnet
    Or push the boat out and ask ISP or LSD to make brass trigger blades.

Which series is this trigger unit ?

Wide brass T06 trigger blade, I'll put my name down for 1
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Or push the boat out and ask ISP or LSD to make brass trigger blades.

Which series is this trigger unit ?

Wide brass T06 trigger blade, I'll put my name down for 1
    Yes, that is an idea It is a T06 blade, I'll see what a jeweler says you never know until you ask.

I have seen diy chrome plating.
    I wonder if you could diy nickel and gold.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    You can certainly diy kit vintage and bright nickel but might need different chemicals for gold
    Gun control means using both hands.

Taking a completely different approach, I did a pistol trigger with yellow glass paint. Polished the blade to a mirror finish, one coat and stick it in the oven at 160c to cure it.

The colour turned out a bit too dense, so if I ever re-do it I will experiment with watering it down first to get a paler effect. It hasn't worn off yet.

I got the idea from a cooker door handle that was polished aluminium coated with yellow lacquer.

£5.50 from Hobbycraft:

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/pebeo-s...060681000.html
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

A bit of heat ( gas torch ) and a brass brush but watch the trigger does not melt.

May only work on steel.

Or try and see if you can find this in the uk for Aluminium.

https://surfinchemical.com/products/...patina-etd-220
    Last edited by bighit; 27-04-2022 at 05:40 PM.

Google Dorsetware . They may be worth a phone call.
    I've seen some shotgun tumblers and associated parts which were gold plated using a kit from fleabay and they were very good. Like all coatings and plating, the prep is a major part of the job.
    Rust never sleeps !

Nickel...

...plating is quite straightforward. I do mine in a Nescafe jar 😁

sbd
    Pardon?

I clearly don't have a clue what I am talking about but wonder if anodising is a possibility? would the trigger have to be aluminium?

Anodizing only work's on aluminium , 1988 I restored an old Zabala 3 " sxs that was gived to me I went the rust blueing and boiling route on the
    metal work but the double trigger's i was not happy with I decided to go with a gold plated finish but the plater we used at work said if you go the gold plate route because it's very thin finish and a very soft metal ( real gold) it will not last very long and he said they are doing a fake hard gold finish that look's good.
    I do not know what the final plating was but 34 year's later I still have the gun and the trigger's look the same as the day i got them back from the plater's (Nobel plating) leicester.
    Last edited by acmsarh; 01-05-2022 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I have wanted one of those Diana gold-plated triggers since I first saw them and was wondering if a jeweler could plate one for me, is there any reason that they would not be able to plate a factory trigger?

Its pretty simple and not as expensive as you would think.. I would recommend using someone such as (254578251024) on the auction site. That can do the whole process from start to finish. Pretty much anything can be Gold Plated. If it cant in its natural state then it can be plated with something that can