Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW45 calibre choice.

HW45 calibre choice.

Hello guys.

HW 45 has ben on my wish list for years. Could never justify the price, but since it just keeps going up and up, I think I better get one before it starts costing like a pcp rifle.

I wanted to ask people`s advise on the calibre. I saw in one review a guy said that the dual power option only comes with .177. Is that so?
    I would be using it for indoor and back garden plinking. It will need to hit the metal knockdown targets tho. With that in mind, would a .22 be more suitable? Got a .22 webley tempest and it knocks the targets really well, were my .177 6 ft/lb junior air rifle struggles to have strong enough impact on the metal knockdown target.

I would be looking for a standard version without the fancy grips, to save on the cost.

Anything I should look out for, or maybe the owners can share some important points from their experience?

Thanks in advance.

aR

Hi AR

I bought a secondhand one for about £150 in .22 and gave it to my brother as he had been talking about one for years and he loves it.

I would buy a used one as they are built like tanks and rarely come across a really worn out one. There's many that have been bought and left in a cupboard.
    I wouldn't worry if it's .22 or .177 as it doesn't make much difference at pistol distances for plinking. Most seems to shoot around 5ft-lbs so either calibre will do what you want.

I found a stock for my brothers, the dovetail is 13mm so I got the correct size mounts, a walther red dot, custom carbine case. The only thing I replaced was a worn breech seal in a tougher urethane material.

When the pistol first came out, the dual power facility only applied on the .177 version. On later models it will apply to both, but I'm not sure when the critical date was.

I have both .177 and .22. Choosing one over the other is purely personal choice. Some may prefer that extra "thump" of the .22 for the extra animation of reactive targets. If I were choosing just the one, personally, I'd go .177 for the price advantage of the pellets and for the flatter trajectory for if shooting further out.

Either will be great fun; enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    it's also really easy and cheap to change calibre with a barrel swap (they often come up secondhand). You could even get a .20

Mine is .177 and whilst I have the tools to knock up a .22 barrel in about 30 minutes, I've never felt the need.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    Hi AR

I bought a secondhand one for about £150 in .22 and gave it to my brother as he had been talking about one for years and he loves it.

I would buy a used one as they are built like tanks and rarely come across a really worn out one. There's many that have been bought and left in a cupboard.
    I wouldn't worry if it's .22 or .177 as it doesn't make much difference at pistol distances for plinking. Most seems to shoot around 5ft-lbs so either calibre will do what you want.

I found a stock for my brothers, the dovetail is 13mm so I got the correct size mounts, a walther red dot, custom carbine case. The only thing I replaced was a worn breech seal in a tougher urethane material.

Some delicious images there. Thank you very much!

hw 45

i have a std hw45 in .22 & a blackstar in .177 and have pre-ordered a new hw45 silverstar in .20, i'm not into simply swapping barrel's so i ordered the real thing, still awaiting delivery on the .20, was ordered the end of last year. eagerly waiting on a phone call to collect it.

I would like to ask please, will a calibre swap between 0.22 and 0.177 have to be accompanied by adjustments in the transfer port diameter of the hw45?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    I would like to ask please, will a calibre swap between 0.22 and 0.177 have to be accompanied by adjustments in the transfer port diameter of the hw45?
    Thanks.
    nope, it's just a trivial straight swap.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by tapps View Post
    i'm not into simply swapping barrel's so i ordered the real thing
    lol.. so swapping a "real" HW45 barrel in isn't the "real thing" ?

Swapping the "real" hard piston seal for an aussie one is another good upgrade for these; calms the firing cycle down nicely, less combustion and a little more power all due to better sealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    nope, it's just a trivial straight swap.
    Thank you.

I currently have the bronze star version, but have had the standard one, in both calibres, even had a .25 barrel !, i prefer the 177 cal

. 22 is softer to shoot I think due to the cushioning effect of the heavier pellet on shot cycle I put a. 177 barrel in mine for hft and flatter trajectory. Had a a. 20 barrel loaned it out never got it back 😕 and would love a. 25 barrel just because...whump...wait a bit.. And whack.
    Ex- Field airgun fella @ www.hprpc.co.uk

i had one in 22 loved it

They're much nicer in .22
    The .177 ones are harsh and snappy I think.