Thread: LP3 spares/repair, much value?

LP3 spares/repair, much value?

Evening all.
    Picked this up on a whim, purely cos it just felt and looked good ( yes, even in this condition…) as a potential project doer upper but having done a bit of research into parts etc’ I’ve decided my resources are going to be better used elsewhere, especially as I’ve been offered something else that will fit nicely into my slowly expanding collection. After a bit of googling I came across a brilliant piece , done by one of the members on here I believe, so followed it and stripped (carefully I hasten to add, no 2lb hammers or pry bars here…) with a view to assessing the condition and what’s missing. Got as far as shown in the pic, having removed the lump of cheese that was the original piston head/seal from the top of the cylinder and that’s how its sat since.

So, I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable guys and gals could advise me as to potential value, if any, of it as a spares/repairs item as I’m looking to move it on to someone who will be able to make better use of it or its components..

TIA

All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gizwaz View Post
    Evening all.
    Picked this up on a whim, purely cos it just felt and looked good ( yes, even in this condition…) as a potential project doer upper but having done a bit of research into parts etc’ I’ve decided my resources are going to be better used elsewhere, especially as I’ve been offered something else that will fit nicely into my slowly expanding collection. After a bit of googling I came across a brilliant piece , done by one of the members on here I believe, so followed it and stripped (carefully I hasten to add, no 2lb hammers or pry bars here…) with a view to assessing the condition and what’s missing. Got as far as shown in the pic, having removed the lump of cheese that was the original piston head/seal from the top of the cylinder and that’s how its sat since.

So, I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable guys and gals could advise me as to potential value, if any, of it as a spares/repairs item as I’m looking to move it on to someone who will be able to make better use of it or its components..

TIA

Hi Gizwaz

I found one at the bootsale some years ago, It was priced at £150 with a broken barrel release lever (Which can still be operated ok), The monkey metal barrel shroud was grey but I polished it and tried blacking it with some G-96, It actually worked in a way but then I stripped it and did it again with less then brilliant results!!

I made an offer on it and he accepted, I can't recall how much I offered now (Galloping senility!) but it shoots great!

Showing the blacking before I stripped it then tried again but ended up 'Greying' it!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

they do look nice and i am sure you can still get the seals for them.....do you have the grips ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Gizwaz

I found one at the bootsale some years ago, It was priced at £150 with a broken barrel release lever (Which can still be operated ok), The monkey metal barrel shroud was grey but I polished it and tried blacking it with some G-96, It actually worked in a way but then I stripped it and did it again with less then brilliant results!!

I made an offer on it and he accepted, I can't recall how much I offered now (Galloping senility!) but it shoots great!

Showing the blacking before I stripped it then tried again but ended up 'Greying' it!

John
    Shame about the blacking ( or should I say Greying ) but nice find and well done on giving it a go. A lot of people seem scared to get involved in any sort of work on their toys. For me I enjoy the working on and tinkering with just as much as shooting them, especially when its something as well engineered as these are. I love working out how to strip them down ( with a little interweb help at times, of course) and it fascinates me how different manufacturers employ different methods of doing the same job. I also love investigating and working out just how certain aspects work such as the valve assembly on these. I know its a basic principle but fascinating all the same.

I’m a great believer in delving in and finding out how things work as this gives you an understanding of the nature of the beast and sometimes enables a certain amount of mechanical sympathy when and where needed.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    they do look nice and i am sure you can still get the seals for them.....do you have the grips ?
    Seals are readily available and on my shopping list but my main stumbling blocks atm are the hammer mech and associated part and the piston.

Unfortunately I don’t have the grips either but a friend up at my club has assured me he has some ideal pieces of walnut laying around and sufficient skills to manufacture a set for it. If it were left to my skill set with woodwork it’s be a couple of hollowed out section of pick elf or broom handle.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gizwaz View Post
    Seals are readily available and on my shopping list but my main stumbling blocks atm are the hammer mech and associated part and the piston.

Unfortunately I don’t have the grips either but a friend up at my club has assured me he has some ideal pieces of walnut laying around and sufficient skills to manufacture a set for it. If it were left to my skill set with woodwork it’s be a couple of hollowed out section of pick elf or broom handle.
    Protek Supplies used to carry some spares for these Gizzy

Just had a look, They don't seem to have much in stock now but you could ring them as they sometimes get spare parts in and don't get them on the website straight away..

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Protek Supplies used to carry some spares for these Gizzy

Just had a look, They don't seem to have much in stock now but you could ring them as they sometimes get spare parts in and don't get them on the website straight away..

John
    Gizzy not heard that one before, must be a first, lol.
    Thanks, been keeping an eye on their LP3 section for a little while now in hops, finally got time and tried ringing today but they’re open tues-sat so gonna try em again tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

The more time I spend researching and just looking at it the more I’m becoming determined not to let it beat me…..

Thumbs down

Dragging up an old thread, I got mine out today, Cocked and fired it twice, No compression on the third pump

Looks like I have to source some seals!

Found a main piston seal at a tenner at Airgun spares and the Orings for the breech and valve for just a quid each (But + P&P)..

They didn't have much at Protek

John