Thread: NV Hints...

Question NV Hints...

Guy's.

I intend to venture out after Rats in the week.
    This will be inside a greenkeepers shed, so will be able to kill all the lights.

I'm going to try the NV equipment i have borrowed, but as some of you know far more about NV than me, i would like to pick your collective brains.

Are there any tips or tricks to zeroing/shooting with this equipment?

Appreciated.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    If you can shoot static, put out range markers or at least have some known distances/objects sussed before you start. It can be an absolute bugger to estimate ranges with NV.

Chris
    Last edited by Sam Vimes; 15-11-2005 at 01:23 PM.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Great. Thanks Chris i will take that on board.
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Snock,
    what will you be using for IR illumination. If it's a lamp with filter try turning the dimmer as low as you can get away with. If it's on full power two things can happen. you may swamp the NV totally or you and maybe the rats will notice a red glow from the lamp. You also get a little white light leakage.
    Avoid inadvertantly looking at things that are very close you will white out the NV and possibly burn the tube.

Chris
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Thanks all.
    Gary, thanks for your advice, some very good ideas there!!

For a secondary zero at 10 yds, the NV equipment needs to be zeroed for 50 yd ( Chair gun )

So, what i am thinking, is to zero at 20yds then all shots from 15-30 yd look to be flat enough to estimate, as there's only 0.5 in between them.
    I will be shooting them next to their food source ( grass seed ) which is around 15 yd. Give or take a yard. (if memory serves)

The pellets I'm going to use are Hobbies BTW

Pete.

Chris, i will be using an IR illuminator.

[QUOTE=snock]Gary, thanks for your advice, some very good ideas there!!QUOTE]

Is that Cooper fella dishing out pearls of wisdom behind the scenes? Whichever Gary it is, please post on the threads. I like to get all the help I can

Chris
    Last edited by Sam Vimes; 15-11-2005 at 02:10 PM.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

He said to take a cardboard box, shine a torch or other light source from underneath it.
    Then make a hole in the side which faces you.

When you take shots at this hole, to zero the sights, you will start to make other holes in the box. These holes will be apparent by the light emitted by the torch.

This will give you a target you can see your zero developing on.

Very good idea. And i wish i had of thought about it.

Got the scaley git.
    Ta all.

jinx is offline Southern Hunter Champion.
    I use a laser (mounted under silencer) to set up my NV, from a firm benchrest fire at a target at zero range i.e 20yds. Zero the laser to the hole then once dark zero the NV to the laser, you can use the laser to rangefind too. The good part is you only have to fire one shot!!

You wouldn't believe how many torches Gary has been through using this method.

Lionel

Quote Originally Posted by snock
    He said to take a cardboard box, shine a torch or other light source from underneath it.
    Then make a hole in the side which faces you.

When you take shots at this hole, to zero the sights, you will start to make other holes in the box. These holes will be apparent by the light emitted by the torch.

This will give you a target you can see your zero developing on.

Very good idea. And i wish i had of thought about it.

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lionel
    You wouldn't believe how many torches Gary has been through using this method.

Lionel
    I know but the funniest one was when I lent you my head torch and asked you to look through the box. Luckily it wasn't a silver bullet eh wolfie?