Thread: Spring guide tightness?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35

Spring guide tightness?

Hi all,

Well I left the bash with yet another BSA thanks to the lovely Chris, now he said the Lightning had been tuned by the previous owner, now it shoots nicely with no twang but you can feel the spring grabbing at the metal guide when cocking, when I took the stock off and looked through the cocking slot, you can see the guide is dry as I would think the spring is so tight its just scrapping any grease off, to me that seems too tight.

Your thoughts please gents.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,

Well I left the bash with yet another BSA thanks to the lovely Chris, now he said the Lightning had been tuned by the previous owner, now it shoots nicely with no twang but you can feel the spring grabbing at the metal guide when cocking, when I took the stock off and looked through the cocking slot, you can see the guide is dry as I would think the spring is so tight its just scrapping any grease off, to me that seems too tight.

Your thoughts please gents.

Pete
    the spring should loosen on the guide as you cock it.. are you sure that;s what you are feeling ? Or the cocking shoe running over spring coils ?

I go with a guide that is a firm push fit, maybe even needing a bit of a twist to get it in. Then then under preload, it'll be a good bit looser and when cocked completely free.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

That's what it feels like Jon but I'm sure the piston has a black plastic grease tube that the spring sits in, so the cocking shoe shouldn't touch the spring in theory.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Sounds like the piston sleeve is too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    Sounds like the piston sleeve is too tight.
    Might be that as well.

Pete

If you're guides are good, no need for a sleeve .

Spring guide tightness?

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    That's what it feels like Jon but I'm sure the piston has a black plastic grease tube that the spring sits in, so the cocking shoe shouldn't touch the spring in theory.

Pete
    Only the older brum built supersports & lightnings had it i think, not seen one in any later lightnings myself.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    Only the older brum built supersports & lightnings had it i think, not seen one in any later lightnings myself.
    Yep my Lightning, Supersport custom and a Superstar I once had have them in.

Pete

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    the spring should loosen on the guide as you cock it.. are you sure that;s what you are feeling ? Or the cocking shoe running over spring coils ?

I go with a guide that is a firm push fit, maybe even needing a bit of a twist to get it in. Then then under preload, it'll be a good bit looser and when cocked completely free.
    Sounds right; I prefer clasping guide just before full spring extension,
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.