Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just in filled a major hole in my Webley Stoeger Pistol Collection; Webley Mark 1

Just in filled a major hole in my Webley Stoeger Pistol Collection; Webley Mark 1

Just received a Webley Mark 1 pistol from an auction here in the US. Three things make this a pretty amazing buy. One its a Stoeger marked Pistol which was the main reason I was interested in it. Its boxed which is pretty rare over here for a Mark 1. And lastly it is just in crazy good shape. It was breath taking when I opened the box! Has a AW by the trigger guard I believe that is a known expection mark? Last pic is it with my other boxed Webley’s.

Here is a link to several pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/CZqNq7Q
    Last edited by 45flint; 10-08-2022 at 06:57 PM.

Webley

Very nice well done. Good find.
    [url]www.rivington-riflemen.eu

'Ah yes!...the Stoeger Webley...Your post prompted me to pay a visit to the Stoeger corner of my own Webley pistol collection, musing as I went on your fine aquisition.
    Imagine my total horror when I found nothing there!...and then my utter despair as it dawned on me that there never had been!...
    We know on this forum how much you appreciate these- odds are you're right now staring at them paraded on the table, blinking in disbelief!

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Just received a Webley Mark 1 pistol from an auction here in the US. Three things make this a pretty amazing buy. One its a Stoeger marked Pistol which was the main reason I was interested in it. Its boxed which is pretty rare over here for a Mark 1. And lastly it is just in crazy good shape. It was breath taking when I opened the box! Has a AW by the trigger guard I believe that is a known expection mark? Last pic is it with my other boxed Webley’s.

Here is a link to several pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/CZqNq7Q
    Nice find for such an uncommon pistol. Pity the enclosure and pellet container are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Nice find for such an uncommon pistol. Pity the enclosure and pellet container are missing.
    I agree. It seems at least in this country the straight grip Mark 1’s I see have really seen tuff lives. Maybe since it was the cheaper pistol they just tend to get used more? But I only recently found out on this forum that some of the Mark 1s were Stoeger marked, so I only recently had my eyes open for a Mark 1 with those Stoeger markings. It could be I let some pass me by, cause I tended to ignore the cheaper Mark 1.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    I agree. It seems at least in this country the straight grip Mark 1’s I see have really seen tuff lives. Maybe since it was the cheaper pistol they just tend to get used more? But I only recently found out on this forum that some of the Mark 1s were Stoeger marked, so I only recently had my eyes open for a Mark 1 with those Stoeger markings. It could be I let some pass me by, cause I tended to ignore the cheaper Mark 1.
    Yes easy to miss. as you tend to think that all Stoeger Webley pistols have the Stoeger checkered grips which stand out. the ones that l must have passed bye as well. another great find by you.

Stoeger Mark 1 trivia. I looked in the Gallery and both Stoeger examples had the same Stoeger markings but these were different from mine. Yes I have the elusive Webley over Stoeger non “Made in England” marking! Lol. My serial number is the earliest so it must have taken some time for Webley to realize these were going to the US and added the Made in England! Maybe Stoeger started to insist they get top billing?

Mine:

Gallery
    Last edited by 45flint; 11-08-2022 at 12:46 PM.

How do you do it Steve?

From memory, the Mark 1 was the last Stoeger marked straight grip Webley pistol I tracked down but mine is in nowhere near the condition of yours - well done!

You now need to find a slant grip Senior that is Stoeger marked and quite possibly a slant grip Mark 1 too. Good hunting.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Outstanding collecting, Steve! Who knew you had relatively little competition in the US? Trust you to bag the best examples available, you lucky b@gger.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Outstanding collecting, Steve! Who knew you had relatively little competition in the US? Trust you to bag the best examples available, you lucky b@gger.
    I think the advantage in the US is we shoot our 22LR and not our airguns? This was a huge airgun auction almost 600 lots. The volume gave you a better chance, I had my eye on 15 lots came away with 3. My three were all pretty amazing.

How about a just about new 1935 Benjamin 700 rifle that when I got it still pumped up and fired! Crazy.

https://imgur.com/a/260BF3L

I think the advantage in the US is we shoot our 22LR and not our airguns? This was a huge airgun auction almost 600 lots. The volume gave you a better chance, I had my eye on 15 lots came away with 3. My three were all pretty amazing.

How about a just about new 1935 Benjamin 700 rifle that when I got it still pumped up and fired! Crazy.

https://imgur.com/a/260BF3L
    That's an incredible 700.

PS I've come to the conclusion that it must be more than just enthusiasm with a bit of good fortune thrown in... You're a damned fine collector (or very rich)!

It seems rather different to this one:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....les/#post-3239
    Last edited by Garvin; 11-08-2022 at 06:11 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    That's an incredible 700.

PS I've come to the conclusion that it must be more than just enthusiasm with a bit of good fortune thrown in... You're a damned fine collector (or very rich)!

It seems rather different to this one:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....les/#post-3239
    I’m retire and just like picking my spots when collecting. I thought this was a bargain, pasted up many that weren’t.

He’s got a Time Machine, it’s the only explanation

Excellent work Steve, very jealous
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    He’s got a Time Machine, it’s the only explanation

Excellent work Steve, very jealous
    My wife took this pic of me going to my latest airgun quest. As you can see from my face I get very intense about these trips.

very good nice find