Thread: Mystery pistol - any thoughts?

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Mystery pistol - any thoughts?

Came across this pistol recently which I had never seen before. There was something about the outside cocking link design that rang a bell. Any suggestions anyone?

No, not familiar.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    No, not familiar.
    I have browsed through the Gallery for inspiration, and the nearest I could find was the wooden Chicago air rifle (https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ifle/#post-976). Not exactly a close fit though!

The pistol is probably Argentinian as I saw it on an Argentinian online auction, but it has no name. A cheap tinplate in pretty bad nick, but I wouldn't mind having it in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Came across this pistol recently which I had never seen before. There was something about the outside cocking link design that rang a bell. Any suggestions anyone?

The way that’s been constructed with pressed steel and spot welding would require a fair bit of investment in tooling but should make them quick and cheep to produce. If this is the case then it seems strange that they aren’t common. Alternatively is this hand built a prototype for something that never made it into production?

Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    The way that’s been constructed with pressed steel and spot welding would require a fair bit of investment in tooling but should make them quick and cheep to produce. If this is the case then it seems strange that they aren’t common. Alternatively is this hand built a prototype for something that never made it into production?
    Maybe it’s an adaptation of an existing design, to test the twin rod cocking mechanism?
    Perhaps even a cut down junior tinplate rifle.

Very interesting.

Cheers,
    Matt

The one feature that I think is unique, and potentially useful, is the fact that the cocking links are made in two parts joined by a common threaded sleeve. This means that (to a limited extent) you could adjust their length.

The one feature that I think is unique, and potentially useful, is the fact that the cocking links are made in two parts joined by a common threaded sleeve. This means that (to a limited extent) you could adjust their length.
    Yes I noticed that.

Do you know if it has another lever on the other side?

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi John, I have not seen anything like that with outside cocking. but l do remember Dennis Hillier having a air pistol which looked something like a cut down Diana 16, which he knew nothing about it. could you put some photos of the other side and with the grips removed please.

ATB
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi John, I have not seen anything like that with outside cocking. but l do remember Dennis Hillier having a air pistol which looked something like a cut down Diana 16, which he knew nothing about it. could you put some photos of the other side and with the grips removed please.

ATB
    Mick

Unfortunately I don't own this pistol, and the only pictures I have are those you see here, taken from the auction website. I have never tried to buy anything from Argentina (or Brazil or Mexico), much as i would like to do so. (I suspect that any sort of gun coming into the UK from South America would spend a very long time with Border Force !)

I think the pistol would need to have an equivalent link on the other side otherwise the barrel would eventually twist the flimsy jaws.

Cheers,
    John

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Unfortunately I don't own this pistol, and the only pictures I have are those you see here, taken from the auction website. I have never tried to buy anything from Argentina (or Brazil or Mexico), much as i would like to do so. (I suspect that any sort of gun coming into the UK from South America would spend a very long time with Border Force !)

I think the pistol would need to have an equivalent link on the other side otherwise the barrel would eventually twist the flimsy jaws.

Cheers,
    John
    Hi John, another senior moment l didn't read the thread right.

Cheers,
    John
    Yes, that makes sense.

An interesting pistol though, I would love to own one, and see how well it shoots.