Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Setra help needed

Quote Originally Posted by hellsquad View Post
    The Ace IS THE BEST
    Purely out of interest, do you put the Ace above the Sportsman and Mohawk, and if so why ?

Glad you got sorted.

All the best Mick

the mohawk would get my vote of the modern pumpers

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Purely out of interest, do you put the Ace above the Sportsman and Mohawk, and if so why ?

Glad you got sorted.
    All the best Mick
    OK fair question and I do not know as have not got those, though cannot stand the side lever look...
    Have you had got a Smith & Wesson 77A, next on my list soon any on offer ???? ...
    However, I have x5 innovas, so a good grasp on them, x1 Crosman sears 140, x1 Setra and the Ace.
    Of those pumpers the ACE comes out streaks ahead on accuracy and the general feel when pumping is good/productive.
    A close second so far for me is the crosman 140, such a sweet gun to use.

They all have power, and the bronze Setra facinates me, but the ace feels streaks ahead

Sell

i have a 77a and it's a good solid gun a bit busy when you remove the side case though

OK fair question and I do not know as have not got those, though cannot stand the side lever look...
    Fair enough.

And in all honesty, I'd have said the Ace was tops before I bought my Sportsman and Mohawks, but these guns take Multipumps to a much higher level.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Fair enough.

And in all honesty, I'd have said the Ace was tops before I bought my Sportsman and Mohawks, but these guns take Multipumps to a much higher level.

All the best Mick

Cool, tell me why? 👍👍👍More modern look and less pumping

Cool, tell me why? ������More modern look and less pumping
    OK, I'll give it a shot.

Starting at the front of the Mohawk working back.

The muzzle protrudes from its retaining bracket far enough for a silencer to be easily fitted.

The barrel retaining bracket allows the barrel to move within it and has an O ring in there to prevent vibration.

The main pump tube is 27mm ID so moving more air on a pump stroke than any other multi pumps I have.

The pump linkage is bolted together so that it can be completely stripped out if needed.

The pump linkage attaches to the front of the pump rod which is made from Delrin to reduce friction..

The pump rod is fully adjustable to alter headspace.

The piston head is articulated onto the pump rod by means of a ball and socket joint so that when the pump tube flexes the piston head doesn't bind in the tube.

The piston head is sealed by means of a simple O ring and has a Delrin bearing behind it to prevent metal to metal contact.

The pump arm, has a positive lock when in the closed position and being on the side of the action means that there's a decent clear hand hold on the opposite side

The brass valve body is a work of art in itself using a ball bearing as an inlet valve and having a fully floating exhaust valve.

Underneath the valve body is an adjustable valve for setting the blow off pressure and gun's power, this also doubles up as the valve retainer within the tube.

The hammer slides inside a Delrin sleeve and is cocked by a separate handle rather than the bolt, so once pumped the hammer can be decocked to act as a safety device.

There are a pair of grub screws in the hammer that can be adjusted to alter the opening of the exhaust valve.

The trigger unit working on the hammer I consider to be better than a Rekord and is fully adjustable --- you can even move the trigger blade forward and backwards and cant it to either side if you need to.

On the top end you have a simple bolt loading breech with telescopic dovetails machined in it with a Lothar Walther barrel attached.

The Mohawk comed in either a Beach and Walnut stock and I think there is a thumbhole version as well, the action mounts to the stock by means of two bolts.

I've probably missed some features but that's the gist of it.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 24-08-2022 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Adjustable hammer throw

OK had a good look at them all

Hi Mick

OK so tech excellence seems to be you thing for these pumpers

My random comments.. FWIW LOL
    They all seem to copy each other, not certain date wise which came first.

eg
    The ACE has the same basics as the Crosman 140, but done a lot better.

The Mohawk as you said "Underneath the valve body is an adjustable valve for setting the blow off pressure and gun's power," Same with MY SETRA.
    "The muzzle protrudes from its retaining bracket far enough for a silencer to be easily fitted". Same with ACE

Anyway I cannot get past the looks of the Mohawk just do not lke the lump on the side LOL.
    But I want the Mohawk trigger !!! All the others are awfull...

It sounds a great gun, but for the pumpers there is something about the two part woodwork that grabs me, classic look.
    I now have made silencer adapters for all mine except the Setra, the ACE is so quiet, a dream, the crosman 140 makes a terrible spring twang when fired though LOL

Hi Mick

OK so tech excellence seems to be you thing for these pumpers

My random comments.. FWIW LOL
    They all seem to copy each other, not certain date wise which came first.

eg
    The ACE has the same basics as the Crosman 140, but done a lot better.

The Mohawk as you said "Underneath the valve body is an adjustable valve for setting the blow off pressure and gun's power," Same with MY SETRA.
    "The muzzle protrudes from its retaining bracket far enough for a silencer to be easily fitted". Same with ACE

Anyway I cannot get past the looks of the Mohawk just do not lke the lump on the side LOL.
    But I want the Mohawk trigger !!! All the others are awfull...

It sounds a great gun, but for the pumpers there is something about the two part woodwork that grabs me, classic look.
    I now have made silencer adapters for all mine except the Setra, the ACE is so quiet, a dream, the crosman 140 makes a terrible spring twang when fired though LOL

The first time the Setra appeared in Airgunworld it was only available to FAC holders as it stopped being imported when the 12 ftlbs limit was introduced.
    The 1960s FAC power gun that was shown in the article had a blow off valve, it was said to be fitted to prevent valve lock at high pressure, not to prevent the gun going over 12 ftlbs.
    How well the blowoff valve works at sub 12 I don't know as I've never had my valve blow off, as I said earlier mine was altered by the importer to give two shots per charge.

Anyway, for those who like pictures, here's some of my pumpers, Bluestreak, Silverstreak and Setra :-

image.jpg

Mohawk single stroke, Mohawk two stroke, Daystate Sportsman and dopey bollocks the cat :-

image.jpeg

And to give you some idea of the Mohawk's build quality, here's the trigger :-

image.jpeg

I must dig the other pumpers out for a picture sometime but I'll have to wait until the wife's out as she only thinks I have one gun with a laminated stock, the FWB600, she's not clocked the FWB602 yet.

All the best Mick

That's the match trigger option to fit the Manitou and Mohawk ranges. Very similar to the standard Titan unit but using different leverages. It was fitted as standard to some of the target models but could be had as an optional extra on any model. Correctly adjusted its rather nice.

Lovely old girls, nice checkering on the streak.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    That's the match trigger option to fit the Manitou and Mohawk ranges. Very similar to the standard Titan unit but using different leverages. It was fitted as standard to some of the target models but could be had as an optional extra on any model. Correctly adjusted its rather nice.
    That's good to know, both of my Mohawk's have that trigger set up.

My single stroke Mohawk came to me as just the top end and pump with no trigger unit, after a shout out on here I was put in touch with a chap in Ashbourne who sold me a trigger unit, a brand new stock and the front barrel retainer --- the gun cost me £100 to build and is very accurate.

I had to alter the top sear on the trigger unit I bought as it didn't have the little mushroom under the ball bearing, so I drilled the sear and fitted a homemade stainless mushroom --- job done.

I normally do away with the two stages and set the triggers up as a hair trigger --- still quite safe but they feel more like a match trigger.

I also have a few spare triggers and cages for the Mohawk --- just in case like.

Anyway I must get on I'm trying to turn a knackered old Rellum into a PCP ha,ha --- not.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post

Lovely old girls, nice checkering on the streak.
    The Bluestreak was about the first gun I bought off here, the checkering and sling swivels caught my eye as they weren't standard, and the only company I can recall customising them was the MV arms company run by Rod Lynton of Airgunworld, which is why I ended up buying it.

All the best Mick

"I had to alter the top sear on the trigger unit I bought as it didn't have the little mushroom under the ball bearing,"
    Thats the one for the Titan Manitou with a smaller diameter tube. When JB converts them he uses a grubscrewinstaed of your little mushroom. It works just as well but gives a little adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Thats the one for the Titan Manitou with a smaller diameter tube. When JB converts them he uses a grubscrew instead of your little mushroom. It works just as well but gives a little adjustment
    Thankyou for that, I thought the trigger must have been from another Titan model.

When the unit I'd bought didn't work I simply compared it to my other Mohawk trigger to figure out the problem and machined up the mushroom to match them up.
    I actually thought drilling the sear would be a bugger of a job but it turned out to be fairly easy going, so I machined the mushroom from 316 stainless hoping it would work harden to a degree.
    Good idea with the grub screw --- I could do that next time I have the gun apart but while something is working well I tend to leave it alone.

All the best Mick