Thread: A lot of fun in a cheaper rifle- The Crosman 700

A lot of fun in a cheaper rifle- The Crosman 700

I bought this rifle for the curly maple stock but I took it out to the backyard today and was a bit surprised how a cheap rifle can be so much fun. First it didn’t leak which is always a plus. Lol. But to me what was so cool was the little pop that it makes. So backyard friendly. My better Crosmans like the 160 is so loud I don’t shoot it. Lower power on my 400 and 180 is tolerable. But this is just a gentle pop. I chrony it at 415 fps with Crosman 14.3 grain 22 pellets. That’s really a great power for the backyard and should make the CO2 last a while. It is deadly accurate another surprise really I think easier to shoot accurately than my more expensive 180 and 400. Also interesting mechanics with the wheel loading tap. Should be a awesome rifle for the grandkids. Sometimes its easy to write off cheaper guns but I wouldn’t with this one.

Last edited by 45flint; 22-08-2022 at 03:30 PM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Flint many thanks for bring us to update on what most people would dismiss, like you say. as a cheap and not much good rifle. but like you say just right for youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Flint many thanks for bring us to update on what most people would dismiss, like you say. as a cheap and not much good rifle. but like you say just right for youngsters.
    Actually your comment hit it on the head when you say not much good rifle? It actually is extremely accurate and a great backyard shooter. Tap loading brings to mind my Webley Mark 3. I bet this Crosman would easily out shoot it at shorter target shooting? I think its the paradox of Crosman at times, cheaper guns that were really quite innovative. And extremely easy to maintain. Simplicity can often be dismissed but it can actually be quite a virtue?
    Last edited by 45flint; 23-08-2022 at 02:51 PM.

My figured Crosman Collection on a 1950’s marketing stand.

Lovely.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Very nice. I think there are a lot of interesting Crosmans and Daisys from the roughly 1965-75 period that were only made for a few years.

yes very nice

Beautiful guns!
    Amazing to see how you always manage to find super nice examples.
    I think the 700 is another example of Rudy Merz's genius?
    The gun reminds me of the Hämmerli Junior.
    Perhaps that was the inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by jirushi View Post
    Beautiful guns!
    Amazing to see how you always manage to find super nice examples.
    I think the 700 is another example of Rudy Merz's genius?
    The gun reminds me of the Hämmerli Junior.
    Perhaps that was the inspiration.
    I think they copied the Benjamin 30/30 and its cocking mechanism and added a Hammerli wheel tap? I think one of the only tap loaders ever made in the US? Both these rifles are Merz at his best. The simple yet effective. The BB rifle with the barrel cocking is quite powerful for what it is, using a special pop-it valve.
    Last edited by 45flint; 26-08-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I bought this rifle for the curly maple stock but I took it out to the backyard today and was a bit surprised how a cheap rifle can be so much fun. First it didn’t leak which is always a plus. Lol. But to me what was so cool was the little pop that it makes. So backyard friendly. My better Crosmans like the 160 is so loud I don’t shoot it. Lower power on my 400 and 180 is tolerable. But this is just a gentle pop. I chrony it at 415 fps with Crosman 14.3 grain 22 pellets. That’s really a great power for the backyard and should make the CO2 last a while. It is deadly accurate another surprise really I think easier to shoot accurately than my more expensive 180 and 400. Also interesting mechanics with the wheel loading tap. Should be a awesome rifle for the grandkids. Sometimes its easy to write off cheaper guns but I wouldn’t with this one.
    Great looking curly maple stock, what's the muzzle report like for shooting in the garden?

Quote Originally Posted by On-the-target View Post
    Great looking curly maple stock, what's the muzzle report like for shooting in the garden?
    Pretty modest. I have no issue shooting it in the backyard. Most of the sound is the pellet hitting the target. I’m getting 415 FPS in 14.3 grain 22. Capsules last a crazy long time, I lost count but I bet over 50 shots.