Thread: BSA Cadet serial number prefix

BSA Cadet serial number prefix

A recent purchase, without takeing the stock off I've found 8Y stamped by the barrel latch under the cooking lever without any following numbers. Looking at serial number info Y is a Cadet Major but 8Y isn't listed. Other Y's with a lower number are firearms. Any idea about the 8Y stamp ? Is it even the serial number prefix ?
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Having just looked in Knibbs list of serials I see there is a Y serial for Cadet Majors while I previously presumed they were always C serials, however the serial is supposed to be on the left side of the trigger block sitting just above the stock being C, sometimes a second letter then numbers, marks elsewhere would only be markings in relation to BSA manufacture codes of some sort as I understand. Cadets will start B.
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Serial numbers for cadets are normally on the trigger block l/h/s just above the stock or sometimes if badly stamped just hidden by the stock

There are some oddities out there so you can never be sure but I dont think what you have found is the serial number

Curiosity satisfied for now, thanks lads. As it's shooting better than it looks I'm leaving it alone for now otherwise it will end up a dismantled unfinished project. I orignaly intended to give it a basic service but as it's not broke I ain't going to try & fix it.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Serial numbers of Cadets are clearly marked (stamped) on LHS of trigger block as has already been said. Mine are B29828 (1946-49) and BC1495 (1951-59). Other prefixes are - "BA" and "W", 1949-51 and "A", 1945-46 - all according to Dennis Hiller.

Definately no visable numbers while assembled. A strip down & service is low priority at the moment so mystery to be solved another day. Thanks for all comments so far.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    A recent purchase, without takeing the stock off I've found 8Y stamped by the barrel latch under the cooking lever without any following numbers. Looking at serial number info Y is a Cadet Major but 8Y isn't listed. Other Y's with a lower number are firearms. Any idea about the 8Y stamp ? Is it even the serial number prefix ?
    You will probably find its a batch / Production number for the part

Quote Originally Posted by gunshop View Post
    You will probably find its a batch / Production number for the part
    I'll update on a seperate post when dismantled. Might be interesting info or silly question time
    WANTED. UNF MOD.