Thread: Enjoying the collection

Enjoying the collection

Hi,
    Lately my focus has been less on expanding the collection, and more on enjoying what I have.
    After a period of mostly shooting, I am now back to tinkering a bit.
    These three have been on the surgery table. And the Boyt gun slip has a new zipper.
    It has the right length for the Sears 180. I do like these short slips; most are way too long for my airguns.
    I have put a valve stem in the Sears, that was resealed by Lawrie. That will provide many years of trouble free plinking.
    The Victory had a slight leak from the valve; that is solved now with some new o-rings.
    It is harder to pump than an Innova, but a nice gun nonetheless.
    The Light Pattern had a few loose screws after about 200 shots: the two screws that attach the trigger guard to the action, and the two screws for the plate on the side of the tap.
    Those are now secured with a bit of blue Loctite.
    The screw for the trigger guard in the stock, had no "bite" anymore in the wood.
    After consulting my friend Zuko, I filled the hole with JB Weld, then drilled a new hole, and now the screw "works" again.
    It is nice to experience that these little airgun tasks make me very happy; I guess most people on here know what I mean.
    Cheers, Louis

Quote Originally Posted by jirushi View Post
    Hi,
    Lately my focus has been less on expanding the collection, and more on enjoying what I have.
    After a period of mostly shooting, I am now back to tinkering a bit.
    These three have been on the surgery table. And the Boyt gun slip has a new zipper.
    It has the right length for the Sears 180. I do like these short slips; most are way too long for my airguns.
    I have put a valve stem in the Sears, that was resealed by Lawrie. That will provide many years of trouble free plinking.
    The Victory had a slight leak from the valve; that is solved now with some new o-rings.
    It is harder to pump than an Innova, but a nice gun nonetheless.
    The Light Pattern had a few loose screws after about 200 shots: the two screws that attach the trigger guard to the action, and the two screws for the plate on the side of the tap.
    Those are now secured with a bit of blue Loctite.
    The screw for the trigger guard in the stock, had no "bite" anymore in the wood.
    After consulting my friend Zuko, I filled the hole with JB Weld, then drilled a new hole, and now the screw "works" again.
    It is nice to experience that these little airgun tasks make me very happy; I guess most people on here know what I mean.
    Cheers, Louis

Looking good sir! Enjoy

Great idea shortening the slips they are annoying when too long and flop about.

Lovely little ensemble.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Cheers!
    This gun slip isn't shortened actually, but I have indeed had a few shortened to get rid of those floppy ends.

Yesterday evening I was struggling a bit with the Light Pattern tap.
    It's slightly off center, but I think that was also the case before I secured the screws with blue Loctite.
    Will have to test in the field soon, if accuracy is still good.
    I can't get the tap totally centered (moved more to the right) as the screws are already at maximum tightness.
    There's always something lol.

Enjoying the collection

Nice guns, & a nice jay well mounted, i prefer to see them alive on my bird table though.

Love the little Sears 180 -- do you still have the J C Higgins with the nice blonde stock?

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    Love the little Sears 180 -- do you still have the J C Higgins with the nice blonde stock?
    Hello Allan, sorry for my very late reply.
    Unfortunately I sold the J C Higgins with the nice blonde stock to a friend here in the Netherlands.
    I was using the "short tube" Sears 180 more often and wanted to thin out the collection.
    I should do that again, but it is always difficult to let nice airguns go.

Here is a photo that I took a few days ago after returning from my lovely holiday in Suffolk.
    One of the GR-75's will hopefully go to Ped in a while.
    I have started to disassemble the darker one. When it holds gas, I shall be testing a few types of .20 ammo, as I have understood these are quite pellet sensitive, due to their magazine/loading system.

The Sharp GR-75 is a very interesting and rare rifle, especially in the UK and Europe. You are vey lucky to have found two such tidy looking examples.
    I seem to remember reading a lengthy review in (I think) Airgun Shooter and the writer saying the magazines were a bit weird and very pellet fussy.
    I'm sure they will tax your skills (and Ped's) and patience to fettle them and getting up and running properly -- Good Luck!

PS -- Shame about the blonde stock J C Higgins -- they are my favourite little plinking rifle and I would have bought it in a heartbeat!

Hello Allan,
    It might be this article?
    https://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/tag/gr75/
    I have a selection of .20 ammo to try after the resealing is done.
    The resealing will be challenging; I have had a look in the gun's "engine room" and it looks well made, but complicated. Lots of parts.
    There is a later type Innova in .20 caliber on its way from Japan to me (will take about 2 months), with a tub of Sharp .20 pellets.
    I won't use many of the original pellets, but at least I will have something that the gun likes.
    Sorry about the Sears 180. If my friend Milo here in Holland ever sells it, I will let you know. It is always a bit stressful to take airguns over the border to the UK, even though it's legal, but it can be done.

Yes Louis, that's the article I remember and it's still well worth reading -- it's interesting to see the price he put on them over 8 years ago!
    Finding a suitable pellet seems to be their Achilles Heel and judging by the write-up something like a flathead/wadcutter might work although I have admit I've never seen one in .20.
    Please keep us posted on your progress.