Thread: Webley junior piston screw won’t budge

Webley junior piston screw won’t budge

Hi
    I picked up a pre 58 webley junior with the Bakelite grips recently which needed the seals changing and a good clean.

Ordered the bits I needed and got everything apart except no matter how I try, the screw in the piston won’t budge. I cut away the old leather seal squirted copious amounts of wd 40 over the screw and inside the piston…..won’t budge.
    Next I tried heating the top of the piston with a blow torch and allowing to cool but it still won’t move.

Has anyone and ideas as to how the screw can be removed or am I going to have to drill it out?

Try standing the piston in a container face down in a container & filling the inside with WD/Plus Gas/solvent of choice. Then forget about it for a few days. And try again.
    Also, the old fashioned manual impact driver is worth a try.

Hth

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I’m trying that at the moment. Been soaked overnight.

Wonder if I could drill a hole through the piston so I can grip it better with a screwdriver shaft as it’s impossible to grip the piston whilst trying to get screw out?

Forget WD40 ( very limited use ) heat the piston up and whilst hot stand it in plus gas covering an inch of the piston rod.

Quote Originally Posted by liamrose View Post

Wonder if I could drill a hole through the piston so I can grip it better with a screwdriver shaft as it’s impossible to grip the piston whilst trying to get screw out?
    You should be able to buy a 2nd hand vice for a few quid - much better solution, & it'll come in useful for other jobs. Try & get one with alloy covers for the jaws, so doesn't damage items being gripped.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Check the manufacturers instructions & safety advice out. Many oils, lubricants, dismantling fluids are flammable additionally they can release dangerous or harmful fumes perhaps especially so when warm or in confined space. Flammability/ ignition with heat flame or sparks is possible, liquid or vapour.

It dosent sound as if you are using a vice, I'd suggest thinking about getting one & finding somewhere solid to fix it to. A bench if you have it or a portable work bench might be usefull for other jobs too not just for servicing air pistols etc. it will give you a more secure & safer way to work on things than hand holding them.

In the meantime let it soak in 3 in 1 or diesel or something like that & try it again when you get a secure & safer way of holding it. Depends on what tools you have at the moment or if you can get a loan of something from family or friends.

edbear2 Guest
    Get someone to put a bit of weld (Tig is the most accurate + plus you can use a high strength rod) on the screwhead (if now scrap), or heat with a propane or gas ring (screw only) till dull red......allow to cool a bit, then a squirt of duckoil / wd /whatever and it will smoke a bit, but the heat remaining will draw in the fluid more then submersing etc.

Rinse and repeat, this will usually do it in very case, especally the weld thing;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...57623019958012

ATB, Ed

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by liamrose View Post

If it's that tight the "seal" needs breaking, see my post above or you will end up with a snapped off screw, still that's an easy job for anyone with a lathe to sort out.....It maybe also someone has used a strong grade of threadseal in the past, so the heat as mentioned above will "kill " that and get things moving.

If one of the bearing grades of loctite has been used, they are oil resistant /tolerant so you are wasting your time with oils.

ATB, Ed

Any progress on the seized item?

ATB

Bru

I stripped a webley junior down today and had a similar issue

In the end I gripped the piston in a soft jaw vice, ground an old screwdriver to a perfect fit then forced down on the screwdriver with my left hand while turning on the flat of the screwdriver with an adjustable spanner in my right

It took a while but the constant pressure finally made it give just a little then i hit it with plusgas and turned it in and out a few times, it came out a little at a time for the first 3 or 4 threads then came out normally

Looking at the screw which is quite poor quality I think snatching it with an impact driver will do nothing more than either bend it or more likely shear the head and if you add too much heat as a last resort it will break even easier

best of luck!