Thread: Japanese copy of a BSA Light Pattern

Japanese copy of a BSA Light Pattern

Hi,
    A few months ago I bought this Japanese copy of a BSA Light Pattern.
    I picked it up from my friend Steven in Nottinghamshire on Sunday.
    Haven't tested it yet, but it is "special". I think the quality of the original BSA product is much better, but hopefully this Japanese gun will be nice to shoot.
    It has a screw in barrel liner. Looks like bronze, as with Sheridans.
    It says "1" at the tap, and .177 on the cylinder, so I don't know why they used a liner. Probably cheaper to make?
    The stock has some nice tiger stripes that will come out after oiling.
    The metalwork is brown/grey. Perhaps I should leave it this way, but I don't really like it. I can already smell the cold blue, once I'm back in Holland.
    The front sight looks like it's mounted the wrong way around. The downward slope should be facing forward, if I am not mistaken.

Google translate gives a translation that probably means: hunting gun, no license required

On the cylinder it says "SPACIAL GUN RARREL".
    That's enough reason to keep this one in the collection

Cheers, Louis

Very interesting, is there any way of dating it?

Cool and interesting, what does it say on the stock ? Are there any other markings on the metal work. With the bad english translation, perhaps its an export item. The japanese were perfecting the roling and stamping of metal in the 30's, so barrel economies not surprising. Was civilian ownership of airguns allowed in the 1930's in Japan. Have you got a 30's Bsa light pattern to do a side by side comparison.
    Last edited by silva; 06-09-2022 at 12:13 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by On-the-target View Post
    Very interesting, is there any way of dating it?
    Good question. I have no idea, to be honest. Perhaps someone knows whether most of the Japanese copying was done after the war, to stimulate their economy?

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Cool and interesting, what does it say on the stock ? Are there any other markings on the metal work. With the bad english translation, perhaps its an export item. The japanese were perfecting the roling and stamping of metal in the 30's, so barrel economies not surprising. Was civilian ownership of airguns allowed in the 1930's in Japan. Have you got a 30's Bsa light pattern to do a side by side comparison.
    With the Google translate app on my phone, which can translate text from a photo, it reads something like "hunting gun - no license required" on the stock.
    Interesting idea that it might be from the thirties.
    I think the Japanese were allowed to own airguns back then (I think it was restricted after the war).
    I have a late twenties (iirc) BSA Light Pattern to compare. I will be able to do a comparison in about a week.

I've just compared your photos with my early 1920's Light Pattern and it certainly follows it closely even to the patterning on the grip. The front sight does appear to be the wrong way round, should be easily corrected. The huge difference is of course the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by On-the-target View Post
    I've just compared your photos with my early 1920's Light Pattern and it certainly follows it closely even to the patterning on the grip. The front sight does appear to be the wrong way round, should be easily corrected. The huge difference is of course the barrel.
    The beech block and the barrel on the BSA were formed from one single forging, whereas the barrel on the Japanese gun ( and all the german copies of the BSA design), had the breech and barrel as separate pieces joined together during manufacture.

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    The beech block and the barrel on the BSA were formed from one single forging, whereas the barrel on the Japanese gun ( and all the german copies of the BSA design), had the breech and barrel as separate pieces joined together during manufacture.

Lakey
    Thank you On-the-target and Lakey.
    I will soon take the gun apart and report my findings. It will make an interesting project.

edbear2 Guest

Lakey
    Even BSA started doing it from the MK2 Airsporter to save money.

The original drawn / forged BSA tapered barrels and breech units as per the prewar guns and the MK1 Airsporter / Clubs would be the cost of a whole gun to make now I wager, even if you could find someone to take on the job!

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Even BSA started doing it from the MK2 Airsporter to save money.

The original drawn / forged BSA tapered barrels and breech units as per the prewar guns and the MK1 Airsporter / Clubs would be the cost of a whole gun to make now I wager, even if you could find someone to take on the job!

ATB, Ed
    Hi Ed,

It is inconceivable that any manufacturer would employ heavy forgings and drawn barrels in this day and age, and like you say it is unlikely that the skills exist in number to do the work.

That is why I like the early BSA's so much. They used all their skill in military weapons manufacture to make a superior air rifle that has stood the test of time.

Take Care

Andy

Hi Ed,

That is why I like the early BSA's so much. They used all their skill in military weapons manufacture to make a superior air rifle that has stood the test of time.

Take Care

Andy
    I couldn't agree more Lakey.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Hi Ed,

It is inconceivable that any manufacturer would employ heavy forgings and drawn barrels in this day and age, and like you say it is unlikely that the skills exist in number to do the work.

Take Care

Andy
    As I’ve often said, Andrew - Up to a quality not down to a price. I think I’ve still got a breakbarrel copy in my hoard. I’ll check tomorrow.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .