Thread: Webley tracker tap issue

Webley tracker tap issue

Hey fellow collectors!

I just bought a lovely camo tracker .22 with a clearly misaligned tap.
    So how do I realign the loading tap which is off centre?

Many thanks for any replies.
    Andy

The collar that contacts the action and determines alignment could be shimmed or trimmed down to move the tap in the direction you want.
    But first you should be really sure you have an alignment issue.
    Is the gun accurate?
    Is the tap hole off center with the loading port or the barrel?
    Do you have any rotational alignment issues?

If the tap is well centered with the barrel, but visually off center with the loading port, OR if the gun shoots well, leave it alone...
    Too many airguns!

Hi and thanks for your reply, when you down at the tap the lever side of the tap hole is pretty flush to the actions aperture but the sidelever side you can very clearly see the edge of the tap hole.

Accuracy could be better but maybe my standards expect too much.

edbear2 Guest
    But is the loading aperture central to the bore I suppose is the main issue, I did one years ago for J.T. and I recall you need to check the bore alignment or whatever.

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    But is the loading aperture central to the bore I suppose is the main issue, I did one years ago for J.T. and I recall you need to check the bore alignment or whatever.

ATB, Ed
    That’s what has me concerned.

Wouldn't a .22 rod inserted down the barrel to see if it goes cleanly into the loading tap be one way of finding out if the alignment is correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Wouldn't a .22 rod inserted down the barrel to see if it goes cleanly into the loading tap be one way of finding out if the alignment is correct ?
    You'd need a rod that was fit very close to the bore, and even then you would still have clearance since the rifling is larger than the bore, and the tap is probably even a fraction larger.

Using a rod to push a pellet backwards through the barrel into the tap can give you a better indication of what is going on, but it is still difficult to interpret.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    You'd need a rod that was fit very close to the bore, and even then you would still have clearance since the rifling is larger than the bore, and the tap is probably even a fraction larger.

Using a rod to push a pellet backwards through the barrel into the tap can give you a better indication of what is going on, but it is still difficult to interpret.
    A pellet Superglued or Epoxy'd onto a thin rod might work, but as you say, difficult to interpret.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    A pellet Superglued or Epoxy'd onto a thin rod might work, but as you say, difficult to interpret.
    IIRC, in the article by Jim on the Tracker, he put a felt pen mark on the side of the pellet so that the mark sat to the top when in the tap.
    He then fired the gun into soft material so that he could retrieve the pellet and inspect it for any clipping on leaving the tap and entering the bore.

A simple but brilliant idea.

All the best Mick

Tap alinement

Strip the guts out hold action up to the light and look down the barrel and you will see, double check using a length of
    spring wire with a square end as a feeler.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    IIRC, in the article by Jim on the Tracker, he put a felt pen mark on the side of the pellet so that the mark sat to the top when in the tap.
    He then fired the gun into soft material so that he could retrieve the pellet and inspect it for any clipping on leaving the tap and entering the bore.
    I do the same, except scratch the inside of the pellet with a scriber of some sort. Shooting a pellet into a rolled up towel from 10-20 yards will catch the pellet relatively undamaged and allow inspection to see if it really is clipping.

It's important to remember that there are two ways clipping can occur. First is side to side clipping (lateral), because the tap is laterally misaligned. The other is up-down clipping (vertical), and this is caused by the plastic tap lever not returning to the correct position. The felt pen or scriber mark will tell you which clipping, if any, is occurring.

I run all my Webley tap loaders without the rubber O-ring, and use Nyogel 774VH grease to seal them which, though pricey, has worked extremely well.
    Last edited by bill57; 10-09-2022 at 12:21 PM.