Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another FLZ “FAVORIT XX” comes back in the time machine

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    yes l have had a few with just the half stock. but never a full stock.plus the off set tap lever. l wonder if they were made just for the USA market.
    I think the later one being a 22 might suggest this one was made for export to the US as we were very 22 centric at that time. Also I have to assume this one is late 1930’s. Height of Depression, everyone I’m sure is looking at where to sell higher end guns? I have talked to a major German collector who said the later version is very rare In Germany. Similar case with Haenel 28R’s, they are found in the US and pretty rare in Germany?
    Last edited by 45flint; 12-09-2022 at 02:39 PM.

I have a feeling they weren't made for very long, by which time the UK wasn't importing from Germany.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I have a feeling they weren't made for very long, by which time the UK wasn't importing from Germany.
    Very good point, we didn’t enter the war until the end of 1941. I have seen Haenel 28 advertisements here dated 1940.

A little more information on the FLZ. Took off the stock and the #36 was matched on the tube near the trigger. Seems to me a serial number? I bet given Diana was major competition at the time, FLZ was increasing the power of the XX to compete with their model 58? This rifle produced 8.5 FPE yesterday on a chrony test. My Diana 58 was at 7.8 FPE; so they succeeded. This rifle is superior to my earlier XX in just about every way, especially the power. It actually has the feel and heft of my 58. It’s a shame that history was about to deal FLZ a fatal blow right when they were producing maybe some of the best air rifles in Germany.

“By the start of World War II, the company had 400 employees and was soon ordered to manufacture military goods such as machine guns parts that would be assembled at the Gustloff-Werke” After the war FLZ was gone. Part of the reason the collecting FLZ guns is so fascinating to me.

Last edited by 45flint; 19-09-2022 at 10:46 AM.