Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another FLZ “FAVORIT XX” comes back in the time machine

Another FLZ “FAVORIT XX” comes back in the time machine

Saw this rifle (lowest one in the pic) in a auction and they said the only markings on the rifle were “FAVORIT XX”. Not sure that meant that much to too many people over here. Didn’t seem like much competition for it? FLZ has become a collecting “favorite” of mine partly because they are fairly obscure and not much is really written about the company. The company used many names to market its airguns This example of the XX was so interesting to me in that it is a further evolution of the rifle from my first example. The quality of this rifle is superb. Bluing and machining excellent, as good as any prewar example I have. This one given its great condition really shows it off. Look at the fine machining of the sights. The little bead on the front sight is amazingly small and perfect. My earlier Favorit XX had the, common for the time, trigger guard screw trigger adjuster. I could be wrong but there is a screw on top of the rear of the tube which may be for that purpose? I think I have seen other rifles with the trigger adjustment there? I could be totally wrong on this. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Bottom line its a hoot to have this example. I received it today and I’m off tomorrow so no time to do anything but clean it up and shoot some pics. There is a #36 under the barrel, only number I can find. Its a 22 caliber.

https://imgur.com/a/wMxTiRX

Here is my earlier example of the Favorit XX that I have already posted:

https://imgur.com/a/GWmcpHw
    Last edited by 45flint; 10-09-2022 at 02:19 AM.

Another FLZ “FAVORIT XX” comes back in the time machine

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post

Saw this rifle (lowest one in the pic) in a auction and they said the only markings on the rifle were “FAVORIT XX”. Not sure that meant that much to too many people over here. Didn’t seem like much competition for it? FLZ has become a collecting “favorite” of mine partly because they are fairly obscure and not much is really written about the company. The company used many names to market its airguns This example of the XX was so interesting to me in that it is a further evolution of the rifle from my first example. The quality of this rifle is superb. Bluing and machining excellent, as good as any prewar example I have. This one given its great condition really shows it off. Look at the fine machining of the sights. The little bead on the front sight is amazingly small and perfect. My earlier Favorit XX had the, common for the time, trigger guard screw trigger adjuster. I could be wrong but there is a screw on top of the rear of the tube which may be for that purpose? I think I have seen other rifles with the trigger adjustment there? I could be totally wrong on this. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Bottom line its a hoot to have this example. I received it today and I’m off tomorrow so no time to do anything but clean it up and shoot some pics. There is a #36 under the barrel, only number I can find. Its a 22 caliber.

https://imgur.com/a/wMxTiRX

Here is my earlier example of the Favorit XX that I have already posted:

https://imgur.com/a/GWmcpHw
    Thanks for the pics they are both lovely looking guns, german?

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    Thanks for the pics they are both lovely looking guns, german?
    Yes from Zella Mehlis

After getting the two rifles together FLZ was definitely improving the design. You can see in the pic of the two, the tube has been lengthen to increase the power. I took only one shot to make sure it worked but it was definitely hitting much harder. The trigger is more complex and I’m not sure what is going on. Without cocking the rifle as you pull back the trigger there is a click where a second stage would be. I think the screw on top of the cylinder adjusts the trigger pull? This is probably late 1930s? I bet competition with Diana may be pushing them. Diana by this time has its more complex trigger I believe.
    Last edited by 45flint; 19-09-2022 at 10:51 AM.

A pair of lovely rifles. Such great quality. Congratulations

Lakey

Another beauty Steve! Presumably the straight tube rather than old-fashioned 'tear drop' forks must be the later one of the two. Interesting it has an anti-bear trap of some sort.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Interesting also that the 'new' one has a flat-back cylinder cap rather than the trademark FLZ 'tail' on the back of it, although the stock has a partial carve-out for it.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Interesting also that the 'new' one has a flat-back cylinder cap rather than the trademark FLZ 'tail' on the back of it, although the stock has a partial carve-out for it.

If you look at the length they increased the cylinder they no longer have the room for the flat-back cap even if they wanted to keep it?

Saw this on the net yesterday which I think may be the final form of the rifle. Here the stock at the end of the cylinder has been normalized and now has the FLZ badge? The sights have also been modernized. It may now not be the XX but it was listed as a Favorit.

Last edited by 45flint; 10-09-2022 at 11:57 PM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    What 2 great rifles you have found again well done. and ones that l have not seen before.

Really nice.The styling of the stocks puts them in a league way above the norm for the time. Very envious

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    What 2 great rifles you have found again well done. and ones that l have not seen before.
    I think in England the FLZ Militia Original was imported quite a bit. It a very similar rifle but no long stock. I don’t think I have seen one of those for sale over here?

Excellent attention to detail on these rifles.

Those are really gorgeous rifles. Your ability to sniff them out never fails to impress!

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I think in England the FLZ Militia Original was imported quite a bit. It a very similar rifle but no long stock. I don’t think I have seen one of those for sale over here?
    yes l have had a few with just the half stock. but never a full stock.plus the off set tap lever. l wonder if they were made just for the USA market.