Thread: Webley Hurricane

Webley Hurricane

Hi Gentlemen
    I haven,t posted on here in a while , life moves on and circumstances change, hope everyone is well and the collections are behaving themselves.
    I was wondering if I might presume on the expertise of this grand part of the forum. A friend of my brothers unfortunately passed away and as she was clearing her husbands wardobe out she was disturbed to find a gun in there. She had no idea what it was and he was a career soldier anyway she rang my brother knowing that his trade is RAF Armourer and asked if she should get the police or someone to collect it. Anyway brother went to have a look and found a.22 Webley Hurricane so he said he would take it out of the way so her kids didn,t get tempted and asked what she wanted to do with it as there is nothing to worry about with the gun.
    It is in its original box including original receipt from W.Richards of Liverpool on 27/3/1992 for £55.00 for the gun and £2.55 for 500 pellets.
    There is a large pamphlet "Use,Care and Maintenance of the webley hurricane air pistol", an adaptor to fit in place of the rear sight to take a scope and a small key ring affair with an allen key and a plastic ring saying World famous webley on it.
    It looks like it has just sat in the wardrobe as the is no scuffing on gun finish or on the red baize lining of the box, all of the black finish looks absolutely pristine as does the white writing.
    When closed the lid of the box does have slight scuffing to the top corners but it is not what you would call falling to bits, in fact quite the opposite it has maintained its strength and finish very well.
    Now being a widow she can do with any money she can get but she is stuck about whether to take it back and keep it as a memory of her husband or to sell it as she has no idea of value.
    If you knowlegeable gentlemen would be kind enough to help with some idea of valuation I would let het know and if she so wishes I would start a sale thread in the for sale section on her behalf and then give her the cash on completion of the sale.
    I used to host pictures on here for others regulalry to help with valuations but am not sure how to go about it now, I realise a picture paints a thousand words and if anyone can point me the right way I will put pictures on here too.
    Anyway thanks in advance for any help you can give
    Regards Neil
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Sorry to hear about the sad loss in your family relationships Neil.

As regards the item in question (without piccies or being able to see it in the flesh Neil), I'd hazard a guess at £155 (+/-£25) for a good example of its type.

Having said that (IMHO) offers exceeding £130 are worthy of due consideration as whilst (again IMHO) others might suggest higher amounts, definite offers to buy are the more important replies to your original posting worthy of consideration.

JMHO, Vic Thompson.
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 14-09-2022 at 03:49 PM.

Many thanks for the reply, I have spoken to my brother and he will pass the details of what you said on to the lady, I have printed you reply off.
    If she so wishes I shall start a thread in the for sale section as pre forum rules.
    Regards Neil
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Sorry for your loss buddy.

Re the value in that condition my local gun shop had one in just like the one you described and I’m sure it was up for £250 and it’s no longer advertised so that means it sold and it wasn’t up for long.

You have a very nice collectors piece there!

Wow now I going to print another one off to send to her which will make her very happy.I found out thisafternoon that if she decides to sell the gun she wants to make a ring, as a remembrance item.
    I shall await her instructions many thanks gentlemen.
    Regards Neil