Thread: Some UK patent info.

Some UK patent info.

Asked to put more on t'internet. Some of it faded due to age but whats left could help researchers in our hobby. Happy reading

Great history of the early days of airgunning. Always good to see the name of Frank Clarke. Enlightening to see that Morini might have started by making slaughter pistols.
    Last edited by Powderfinger; 21-09-2022 at 05:40 AM. Reason: autocorrect

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Very useful lists, but do our readers know how to get free pdf downloads, for British, American and German patents, going back into the 1800's?

I can advise on here how to do it if of any interest, but I do not want to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs.

John

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Very useful lists, but do our readers know how to get free pdf downloads, for British, American and German patents, going back into the 1800's?

I can advise on here how to do it if of any interest, but I do not want to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs.

John
    I know how to suck eggs but I'm not a grandmother and am wide open to being told how to get free pdf downloads for British, American and German patents going back into the 1800's. Please keep it simple for simple folks such as myself. It will like opening a book to read after only being able to see the cover. Thanks

Very interesting, thanks.

1896 O.Will patented ‘central rod in piston for sear’ I’m assuming that’s Oscar Will. Good stuff.

Yes please to how to download patent pdf’s please!

Cheers,
    Matt

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    The process involves using the German Patent Office website Depatis. This is how you do it:

1. Go to https://depatisnet.dpma.de/DepatisNe...witchToLang=en

This gives you the following page:

2. Insert the patent number where indicated. For British patents this must have GB in front of the number, no spaces, no commas. For American patents, the same but prefix with US, and for German patents prefix with DE. In the above example I have inserted GB208341 for Frank Clarke's Titan patent.

3. Click the search button where indicated, and this will give you the following page (if the search has been successful):

4. Click on the PDF icon to get the first page of the patent.

5. You can scroll the whole document one page at a time, and can only download one page at a time.

I have an apology to make, as I should have said that the search only works back into the 1800's for American and German patents. For British patents,
    unfortunately it only goes back to about 1920.

If anyone knows a good way of accessing online the very early British patents, I would love to hear about it.

(In principle you should be able to get British patents back to 1890 using Espacenet, but I have not had any luck with this.)

Good luck,
    John
    Last edited by ccdjg; 21-09-2022 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    The process involves using the German Patent Office website Depatis. This is how you do it:

1. Go to https://depatisnet.dpma.de/DepatisNe...witchToLang=en

This gives you the following page:

2. Insert the patent number where indicated. For British patents this must have GB in front of the number, no spaces, no commas. For American patents, the same but prefix with US, and for German patents prefix with DE. In the above example I have inserted GB208341 for Frank Clarke's Titan patent.

3. Click the search button where indicated, and this will give you the following page (if the search has been successful):

4. Click on the PDF icon to get the first page of the patent.

5. You can scroll the whole document one page at a time, and can only download one page at a time.

I have an apology to make, as I should have said that the search only works back into the 1800's for American and German patents. For British patents,
    unfortunately it only goes back to about 1920.

If anyone knows a good way of accessing online the very early British patents, I would love to hear about it.

(In principle you should be able to get British patents back to 1890 using Espacenet, but I have not had any luck with this.)

Good luck,
    John
    Extremely helpful many thanks
    Morally flawed

Excellent information James and John. Thank you.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi John,
    The British library are very slow at adding them online, but having been and seen what's involved I'm not surprised.... They are getting there... but slowly....