Thread: Info please on my new purchase (early) Webley Mk3

Info please on my new purchase (early) Webley Mk3

Hi all - I have just managed to acquire an early Webley Mk3 air rifle to replace my stolen Mk3 which I had for 48 years - (just had to get another!)

The one I have purchased has a number of 4867 and is in really good condition, can anyone please tell me what the date of this would be? - I have tried to get another Chris Thrale book as well so I could date it (as that also was stolen!!!) but I can't get one anywhere, every site I go to says 'out of stock - don't know when it will be back in stock'

Also - is it possible to fit a front sight protector/hood without changing the front sight assembly to one with grooves in to accept the protector?

Thank you.

That sounds as if it should be a Second Series. Does it have a two stage trigger?

According to the Thrale book the Second Series were introduced in 1949 at Serial Number 2501 and finished at 6000 in the late 1950s (I've found differing dates) so yours should be early to mid 1950s?

Have you tried Protek for the book or t'bay?
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxiliary View Post
    Hi all - I have just managed to acquire an early Webley Mk3 air rifle to replace my stolen Mk3 which I had for 48 years - (just had to get another!)

The one I have purchased has a number of 4867 and is in really good condition, can anyone please tell me what the date of this would be? - I have tried to get another Chris Thrale book as well so I could date it (as that also was stolen!!!) but I can't get one anywhere, every site I go to says 'out of stock - don't know when it will be back in stock'

Also - is it possible to fit a front sight protector/hood without changing the front sight assembly to one with grooves in to accept the protector?

Thank you.
    In answer to your final query, it is possible to fit a f/s hood to the basic sight block by measuring and marking out its position on the block and using a triangular swiss file carefully cut two parallel grooves in the block (which is only mild steel) to accommodate the shield.

I did that to my first mk3 bought as a lad in 1960 - an early model which did not have a f/s shield - and I still have it; the shield is still firmly in place now after sixty odd years!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pusk View Post
    That sounds as if it should be a Second Series. Does it have a two stage trigger?

According to the Thrale book the Second Series were introduced in 1949 at Serial Number 2501 and finished at 6000 in the late 1950s (I've found differing dates) so yours should be early to mid 1950s?
    Hi and thanks for the info - yes it has the two-stage trigger which I would like to adjust - how exactly do I do that? - I know it has the 2 screws, but which does what? - and clockwise/anti clockwise does what etc?

Given I have the number is there any way that I can get the exact date of manufacture at all?

Re the book - I have tried the usual places mentioned with no joy - but a member has PM'd me with a spare one he has (I'm thinking about it as cash is a bit tight at the moment and I haven't even turned the heating on yet!!!)

Thank you.