Thread: Could this be a prototype for the T.J.Harrington Gat?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Just a thought, but from the grip shape, there is a nod to an earlier pre war "Brittania" air pistol retailed by Frank Clarke. Don't suppose you have one to disassemble, to see if there is any similarities in the trigger mechanism, perhaps the use of the vee spring ? Cheaper non precision air pistols, maybe because they were generally sold for children and needed to look as exciting as possible, often seem to loosely follow real pistol appearance, in their design. By the later 1930's, the more modern semi automatic cartridge pistol designs had flat bottomed grips, the rounded bird head style grips had gone out of fashion. It would have been a fair bit of extra work making those rounded grips on your pistol, if they weren't intended on the final design.
    Richard's thoughts on the unappreciated artistry that went into making the pistol are interesting, but perhaps somewhat subjective, so rather than be drawn into a discussion about this I thought I would just try to answer the question asked by Silva. I did photograph the Britannia internals, but when taking it, it occurred to me that people might like to see what the mechanisms of other (British) pop-out pistols of the period look like, so I have a put together a photo collage. However, this thread has now used up its quota of 12 pictures, and I cannot show it, so I have started a new thread to include it. All the pistols shown in the collage disassemble by removing one half of the grip from the other half, the latter being permanently fixed to the cylinder.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 28-10-2022 at 03:34 PM.