Thread: Could this be a prototype for the T.J.Harrington Gat?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    edbear2 Guest
    On the Hyscore summary;

"It is interesting to note that he was a skilled engineer, but obviously was quite happy to cut corners where it did not really matter, as exemplified by the crude trigger guard"

Looks like a normal Hyscore trigger guard to me, pretty pants bit of bent tin

He obviously liked that bit at least!

On the Hyscore P/Type .......is it a phillips screw (not posi) by the way on close examination,as can't see from the photo.

As obviously Phillips are used (amongst on other things) widely in engineering, for example on engine cases (Japanese) and by many motor builders including General Motors (since 1936 ).

Also one of the standard drives in Aviation (NAS series), so are far from a bodge / cut corner if this type, despite looking less "gunny" than slotted jobbies.

It almost looks like it has writing on it (the cross head in the Hyscore photo) just as say NAS 7400 10/32's (random length plucked from memory) and others of this ilk do, but it might also be a trick of the light.

Can you make the pics bigger / have a dekko?

The coding is not industry std. but a quick way to determine grip length / thread size, different makers mark the heads in different ways, but below is an example.....

https://catalog.monroeaerospace.com/...s-1/nas7403-18

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 25-10-2022 at 04:09 PM.

Gun (B) This BB repeater spring pistol prototype was made by William S. Wells, senior design consultant to Daisy Mfg, in the USA. It came from the Daisy development workshop archives, with full documentation, and its current owner kindly shared its details with me. William Wells designed numerous prototypes for Daisy, although they were usually pneumatics rather than spring operated guns

God it's fugly! I suppose Wells knew that if Daisy ever made it, it would be using pressed steel.

Other Daisy spring prototypes here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ols/#post-1862
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    I should have got the LJ one. has l have an original patent specification for it.

Fascinating to see those prototypes. Especially the Hy Score. It changed so radically before being put into production.

The use of the term prototype is a bit open. There may be the concept by the inventor and truly homemade in his, or her, workshop. This may look nothing like the eventual production item and just simply made to see if a development works. The inventor may have little or no machinery or the skills to use them. Thats why so many look really crude and unfinished. The inventor then touts it around to find a potential firm willing to take it on. If he is lucky the following happens.
    More prototypes are made of a more professional nature by the interested party to evaluate the invention. Those are then developed into the pre production variety of prototype. These are usually made by a manufacturer in house for testing purposes, sorting out gremlins, making changes to suit mass production and to demonstrate to the trade at exhibitions etc prior to launch. Usually no more than 10 or 12 examples are made and are usually recognised as genuine factory prototypes.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    The use of the term prototype is a bit open. There may be the concept by the inventor and truly homemade in his, or her, workshop. This may look nothing like the eventual production item and just simply made to see if a development works. The inventor may have little or no machinery or the skills to use them. Thats why so many look really crude and unfinished. The inventor then touts it around to find a potential firm willing to take it on. If he is lucky the following happens.
    More prototypes are made of a more professional nature by the interested party to evaluate the invention. Those are then developed into the pre production variety of prototype. These are usually made by a manufacturer in house for testing purposes, sorting out gremlins, making changes to suit mass production and to demonstrate to the trade at exhibitions etc prior to launch. Usually no more than 10 or 12 examples are made and are usually recognised as genuine factory prototypes.
    Good point, when is a prototype not a prototype? I suppose you could say that if it has all the main structural features of the final commercial product, it is a prototype, and if it still lacks key features, then it is an experimental prototype. So in the Hy-Score development story, pistol (C) would be an experimental prototype and (D) would be a prototype for the final Hy-Score (minus the breech cap unfortunately.)

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Good point, when is a prototype not a prototype? I suppose you could say that if it has all the main structural features of the final commercial product, it is a prototype, and if it still lacks key features, then it is an experimental prototype. So in the Hy-Score development story, pistol (C) would be an experimental prototype and (D) would be a prototype for the final Hy-Score (minus the breech cap unfortunately.)

A prototype is only that when it has been made by the original producer or designer and it's manufacture pre-dates the finished article.
    In this case neither has been established beyond any reasonable doubt.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Any update on my Hyscore trigger guard / grip screws reply/ ideas as up thread a bit? (post no. 56).

ATB, ED

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Any update on my Hyscore trigger guard / grip screws repy/ ideas as up thread a bit? (post no. 56).

ATB, ED
    Well Ed, I would say it is a Philips screw, and Andrew Laszlo obviously liked to use them as there is one on this other prototype.

Unfortunately the pictures Robert Beeman sent me were fairly low resolution, so I couldn't make out if it was writing or just scratches on the screw head when I blew the picture up.

The trigger guard on the commercial Hy-Score is machine pressed and has a curved cross section. As far as the prototypes go, the trigger guards look like a quick bending of some strip steel in a vice.