Thread: BSA Improved Model

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A Dutch friend who bought some parts from the Frank Korn (RIP) estate, sent me a flat section spring.
    It turns out to be original BSA.
    That's my spring problem sorted; I only had one well fitting flat section spring, now a pair, and they are counterwound.
    We'll have to see what the power is with these two springs.

What I find the most difficult part of this Improved Model repair, is the leather washer.
    The one that was in the gun (perhaps original), is damaged and does not seal well.

I bought a new 28 mm leather seal (see photo above), but it is much too "deep" and it has a hard red disc with a small diameter, which doesn't look right to me.
    Then I bought another new 28 mm leather seal from Protek, see photo below.
    This one looks better (nice and shallow), but it didn't come with a leather buffer or dished washer.

Does anyone have tips on how to DIY, for the leather buffer or dished washer?
    Is it right that the top of the piston seal (the rim) should protrude from the screw head in the center?
    I guess the screw head would crash onto the end of the compression chamber otherwise?

Protek seal

I cut this leather buffer out of another seal. I think it is "suboptimal". The washer is not dished, and the diameter of the leather buffer is probably too small.