Thread: Finished, Bellows rifle service pt.3

Finished, Bellows rifle service pt.3

So after the previous threads

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...tumbling-block
    https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...le-service-pt2

I can report that it all went well.

I did a water test and identified some leaks, and after several fixings, re- testings and further fixings with E6000 adhesive I stopped the couple of leaks

I also treated the bellows parchment with Polyethylene Glycol 400 which is what museums use to preserve and renew parchment to stop it drying out and getting too brittle. (thanks to ccdjg for excellent advice and info on the treatment & adhesive)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I also needed to insure a good breech seal and as you can slide the bellows in and out on their own I used little plasticene blocks to give me a depth gauge when pushed in against the breech end of the barrel, and this gave me what I needed to make a leather seal of the perfect thickness.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So, happy that the Bellows were restored as best I could and the barrel seal was working correctly I set about re-fitting the v-springs, and to be honest I didn't know if it would work.

I fitted some mini G-clamps to act as stops to prevent the sash clamp from sliding down and compressed them until I could locate the little prongs on the end of the v-springs into the holes in the mechanism frame.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Once done I could slack off the Sash clamp and hey presto, they were in. I removed the rubber bands after fitting.

I had to do a few other procedures to re-fit the cocking bar in the top bellows plate, and also open up some indents in the stock made by the prongs protruding through the mechanism plate (I think that shock waves through the tips of these prongs may have cracked the back of the stock in the first place, so I didn't want them in contact for future use)
    Then it could all be slid back in the stock and secured by a big pin through the stock and a block on the front of the bellows.

Then some repairs to the woodwork, some of which was already cracked when I took those butt plates off, and the piece I removed to get the mechanism out. All went together well and is all hidden under the rear stock plates. (I put some non-stick backing paper between the stock & Mechanism during gluing so as not to glue them to each other)

[IMG][/IMG]

Then refitted the plates and trigger etc. and finally a test fire with a home made 8.5mm dart, and Bingo! it works! the dart is much faster than before and the shot cycle although loud in the hollowed out stock, is much quieter than before. Hopefully it'll last another 170 years!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I filmed everything (a lot of the above are stills from the vid) and am currently editing it together into what should be a really nice little video. Danny, I'll get more pics and send them to you, and big thanks to ccdjg for his help on how to renew the bellows.

Cheers,
    Matt

Matt, Kudos for your bravery, persistence, and ultimate victory! That is one sweet project.

Don R.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    That is a great piece of restoration Matt. As there is so little published on these classic antiques, your photographic records are truly groundbreaking.

Well done!

John

That's good work, saved for a few more generations.

Top repair work, Matt! What a fabulous gun. Fascinating to see the insides, thank you.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    What a great result Matt. well done to attempt it in the first place.

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Nice one Matt, perseverance eventually pays off
    I will be interested in the parts left over, bring them down to the club when you visit!
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Amazing work Matt

Total respect.

fantastic work matt

Thumbs up Bellows rifle

Unbelievable what an achievement. A pleasure to be able to witness such dedication and accomplishment. Well done.

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Looking at the photo's again well documented project Matt, however you can never have enough glue to hand,,
    Be interesting to shoot it down the club,(before the snow sets in).
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.