Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosman 1377 nightmare

Crosman 1377 nightmare

I wasnt really looking for another but someone was selling their collection and offered it. It has the earlier metal trigger plate and still had it's original box which was appealing to me. I thought I'd put a spare used steel breech on and a fresh pump cup but the thing has turned into more hassle than it's worth.

The pump handle closes but a little loose, I thought it would just need a new piston pump cup. Opening it up I found a standard piston mating up to a flat top valve
    Once the barrel was off for inspecting and cleaning I found their was no rifling. I tried cleaning hoping it was just heavily fouled clogging up the grooves. What was the owner feeding it?
    The pistol had looked so original but you just don't know who's been inside.

bb's can do that but then i have heard that some were accidently fitted with barrels that skipped the rifleing process or were bored over size that the rifling is essentially non existant

That wouldn't surprise me ped I can't see any signs of lands and grooves present.

Gmac don't have much in stock at the moment but they did have a valve end and a 1377 barrel luckily.

Do any countries still have import restrictions on rifled barrels? If so did Crosman make an unrifled version for special export which might have found its way here or a standard one been erroneously fitted with a smooth bore barrel?

I think there was a BB smoothbore version.

Has it got a cup shaped & or magnetic loading probe? If so I'd suggest it was made or modified for bb shooting.

The bolt tip looks longer so I think it's been changed, probably because as you say it may have had a bb magnetic probe.

They are great tinkering guns a steel breech gives rigidity and a re-bolt set is a must for replacing the standard soft ones. Other than you don't have to buy every accessory going for them.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Has it got a cup shaped & or magnetic loading probe? If so I'd suggest it was made or modified for bb shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    The bolt tip looks longer so I think it's been changed, probably because as you say it may have had a bb magnetic probe.

They are great tinkering guns a steel breech gives rigidity and a re-bolt set is a must for replacing the standard soft ones. Other than you don't have to buy every accessory going for them.
    I love mine. I have modified my backpacker and a 1377 pistol. Backpacker puts out around 8flbs with a 10" . 177cal barrel fitted and modified valve. The 1377 is now a 1322 as i fitted the barrel my backpacker came with which is 17" long. Fitted a copy backpacker front pump arm which is made of walnut. Crosman steel breech and probe. Only need to modify the valve now as she is only putting out 4ftlbs.my backpacker was the first gun i bought when i got back in to collecting air rifles. Both guns have brass barrel supports also as i find the pump arm has to much sidewards play with the standard plastic ones fitted.

Wilba, I think the 13XX in a backpacker style format gives us a long list of reasons to have one or two around. I've often thought if need be it would be my go to survival small game getter.

Self contained PCP
    Lightweight
    Reliable
    Compact for storage
    Take down stock
    Inexpensive
    Easy to fix
    Ample power
    Parts interchangeable with other models
    Can accept optics and silencer

I've currently got a Williams WGRS peep sight fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    That wouldn't surprise me ped I can't see any signs of lands and grooves present.

Gmac don't have much in stock at the moment but they did have a valve end and a 1377 barrel luckily.
    which variant is it as if it is a rear cocker the newer barrels have a leade in for the 1/4" probes not the 5/16" ones

Last edited by ratbuster2240; 30-10-2022 at 07:47 PM.

3rd type so will be fine

Thank you kindky ped

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    a hybrid 1322/2289 is my rat gun in Zambia... we only get a few, so a rapid follow up shot isn't needed

Got a nice old boxed 1322 here that's getting my DIY brass breach, and that brass front barrel band I got off you James
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.