Thread: Crosman 1377 nightmare

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Crosman 1377 nightmare

I wasnt really looking for another but someone was selling their collection and offered it. It has the earlier metal trigger plate and still had it's original box which was appealing to me. I thought I'd put a spare used steel breech on and a fresh pump cup but the thing has turned into more hassle than it's worth.

The pump handle closes but a little loose, I thought it would just need a new piston pump cup. Opening it up I found a standard piston mating up to a flat top valve
    Once the barrel was off for inspecting and cleaning I found their was no rifling. I tried cleaning hoping it was just heavily fouled clogging up the grooves. What was the owner feeding it?
    The pistol had looked so original but you just don't know who's been inside.

bb's can do that but then i have heard that some were accidently fitted with barrels that skipped the rifleing process or were bored over size that the rifling is essentially non existant

That wouldn't surprise me ped I can't see any signs of lands and grooves present.

Gmac don't have much in stock at the moment but they did have a valve end and a 1377 barrel luckily.

Do any countries still have import restrictions on rifled barrels? If so did Crosman make an unrifled version for special export which might have found its way here or a standard one been erroneously fitted with a smooth bore barrel?

I think there was a BB smoothbore version.

Has it got a cup shaped & or magnetic loading probe? If so I'd suggest it was made or modified for bb shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    That wouldn't surprise me ped I can't see any signs of lands and grooves present.

Gmac don't have much in stock at the moment but they did have a valve end and a 1377 barrel luckily.
    which variant is it as if it is a rear cocker the newer barrels have a leade in for the 1/4" probes not the 5/16" ones

Last edited by ratbuster2240; 30-10-2022 at 07:47 PM.

3rd type so will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    bb's can do that but then i have heard that some were accidently fitted with barrels that skipped the rifleing process or were bored over size that the rifling is essentially non existant
    Someone reported a 2240 like that some time ago.
    Too many airguns!

Must be a few barrels skipping quality control.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Someone reported a 2240 like that some time ago.

I've finished putting the troublesome 1377 back together. The barrel with stripped rifling has been replaced and the fkag top valve face which was missing a flat top piston.

I've added a steel breech, alloy barrel band with 1/2 unf thread and a Walther 25mm tube red dot.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    I've finished putting the troublesome 1377 back together. The barrel with stripped rifling has been replaced and the fkag top valve face which was missing a flat top piston.

I've added a steel breech, alloy barrel band with 1/2 unf thread and a Walther 25mm tube red dot.

That came out very nice! Is it the original 1377 barrel length?
    Too many airguns!