Thread: Dumb question: re Webley pistols

Dumb question: re Webley pistols

The OEM breech seal on the classic all-steel Webleys is leather, with a brass grommet forming the transfer port. The grommet is flared on one end, the flare resting on one face of the seal.

When installing this seal - does the flare face the front, or the back?

I would say the back......but I always use the rubber seals ......a better seal

Thanks!

I'm actually putting a rubber breech seal in a Senior as we speak...but found myself wondering if the old seal was backwards! You are surely correct, so yes it was.

Now I find the rubber seal is so tight, I can't close the barrel. Looks like I'll have to sand a bit off the back.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Thanks!

I'm actually putting a rubber breech seal in a Senior as we speak...but found myself wondering if the old seal was backwards! You are surely correct, so yes it was.

Now I find the rubber seal is so tight, I can't close the barrel. Looks like I'll have to sand a bit off the back.
    i used diesel rubber fuel line pipe,thick walled and had to trial and error to get the right seal depth by sanding,as you say,too tight barrel won't close,too loose,no seal.pretty sure that leather ones could be made with a brass insert glued.