Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remarkable: an Unused, boxed, Mint 1951 Webley Mk 3

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    i wish i had kept my rd250,several of us had those but a mate had a nice kh 250,he also had a very rapid ypvs350.we should have stored them in the garage.
    A chap I know has his 750 prodded race bike in his lounge behind the sofa --- he did fit central heating in his garage for it but he couldn't stand the thought of it being out of sight so it stayed in his lounge.

I don't know exactly what bike it is but it's been in his lounge for the last 40 years --- you can see it behind the sofa when you drive by his house.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    A chap I know has his 750 prodded race bike in his lounge behind the sofa --- he did fit central heating in his garage for it but he couldn't stand the thought of it being out of sight so it stayed in his lounge.

I don't know exactly what bike it is but it's been in his lounge for the last 40 years --- you can see it behind the sofa when you drive by his house.

All the best Mick
    ha,got his priorities right,nice conversation piece

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    Its an kh250 EFS835S which it would be cool to find one day…
    It maybe out there, you just never know.......

I ended upfinding an old bike of mine (1975 Kawa Z1) I sold in 1977 recently....... basically after 20-30 or so years of occasional checking on the DVLC, it suddenly came up "alive" again taxed and tested last year out of the blue, obviously having been stashed away, the colour had been changed though.

(I sold it in Surrey while living in Glos, then 4 or so years later actually moved to Surrey!....stayed there from 1982-2000 then came up to Herefordshire).

I got in touch with the owner by placing a spoof advert online with details only the actual new owner could know (partial reg) and eventually through an owners forum he contacted me, as when I had the bike although it was only 2 years old it had been heavily customised, so in the advert I had put "please get in touch as I was the second owner and have photos of the bike which has an interesting tale"

He had bought it off the bay, and (now it gets weird), it had been less than 10 miles from where I now live in a barn just North of Worcester, on a road I have gone down countless times in the last 20+ years to within a mile of it.

The guy who had owned the bike for all this time was called Eddie

It had been totally changed so that's why I missed it on the bay, with later mag wheels / Z1000 forks / frame mods all sorts of 80's period add ons, only the reg number and the engine and a few bits from the original remained, so sadly I felt no real connection to it when I saw the photos he set me.

But, never give up, mine took 45 years to re-surface

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 20-11-2022 at 08:42 AM.

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    Ah that nice to hear Ed….mine was particularly unusual in that id fitted a lesport sidecar to it….yes to a 2 stroke lol.
    It was all black with gold pinstriping and had some unique qualities such as being able to ride with the side car up in the air at 45degrees to the point where the right peg would be scraping the road…hilarious at that age..

Frame will almost certainly be twisted after that kind of treatment.
    I recall letting one of my pals at the time try it out (in exchange for a shot of his elsie)…he was ok for 100 yards or so but at the upcoming bend put the brakes on and promptly swerved into the hedge…no damage but again hilarious and he was never allowed to forget it…
    Gun control means using both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    Yeah i did look it up in some hope of working out where it was from the last mot station id but no test since 84…i think i have to accept its razor blades and coke cans by now…probably many times over in fact.
    Ill just keep my eye out for a similar one. Had an S1 250 and a kh400 as well…..something about them.
    Had some fun times in the late 70's with a mates new blue KH250, 1978. Early '90's, got a chance to buy an identical one (this was before prices went stupid). Been rebuilt to S1 spec, by a friend who knew his way around Kawa triples. It was a real disappointment, as thirsty as a Laverda 3. Fouled plugs, burnt out points, was a real let-down, sounded great when it was running on all 3 properly. Rare.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Going back to the original subject, does anyone have a photo of the Westons Mark 3?

I want to see what an £1875 Webley Mark 3 looks like!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Going back to the original subject, does anyone have a photo of the Westons Mark 3?

John
    I would imagine much like the minter I bought off here for well under £200 a few years back, but with a box, and a huge price tag

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

John

Hi John!

I did not take a photograph but you might like to see if it is on the Weston website and, if not, contact them and ask for a photograph. It was rather like stepping back 71 years and seeing this air rifle, unassembled, in its original cardboard box. I dare say they might be open to reasonable offers, if anyone wanted to acquire such a rare example.

Best
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Hi John!

I did not take a photograph but you might like to see if it is on the Weston website and, if not, contact them and ask for a photograph. It was rather like stepping back 71 years and seeing this air rifle, unassembled, in its original cardboard box. I dare say they might be open to reasonable offers, if anyone wanted to acquire such a rare example.

Best
    A
    Thanks Andrew.

I don't really want to contact them for a photo as there's no way I'd pay anywhere near the asking price and don't want to waste the shop's valuable time. It looks to be priced around 3 times as much as I'd expect to pay for a pristine boxed Mark 3 but if anyone visit's the shop and they are happy for you to do so, I'd be interested in seeing it!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Hi all how do I create my own post type thing many thanks derek cheers

Thanks Andrew.

I don't really want to contact them for a photo as there's no way I'd pay anywhere near the asking price and don't want to waste the shop's valuable time. It looks to be priced around 3 times as much as I'd expect to pay for a pristine boxed Mark 3 but if anyone visit's the shop and they are happy for you to do so, I'd be interested in seeing it!

John
    I agree that £600 may be nearer the mark but I would never be tempted even at that price despite being a mk3 fan (I have 13).

The nearest mint example I have is one I bought from a neighbour in 1959 when I was a lad, and he had only owned it for a few weeks from new but quickly sold it to me for £10 to put towards a deposit on a motor bike. The box unfortunately he had shot up on its first day as was normally the case back then. I still own it and has not had much use being stored since my youth; the bluing is unmarked and immaculate as is the stock. It seems to be as powerful now as it was in 1959 and still retains its original spring and washer and there is a perfect seal on the tap.

Holts one went for £1100

Wonder if this was stoked by discussion on this forum...?

http://https://auctions.holtsauction...6560&saletype=

Later (1974) and with an older box, but still mint.

If the 1974 Mk.3 is 'worth' £1100 (was that inc the high premium?) then the 1951 version @ £1800 odd would be the better buy, by far. Much nicer variant, in a far more substantial and durable box, and of course considerably older, (with some interesting provenance?) all of which makes a great deal of difference.

Nah - Holts one has got to be either an anomaly, or else there were 2 or more unusually keen bidders, for whatever reason. I think probably plus premium - it just says 'sold for £1100'. Surely that's not sustainable, even for a boxed ex-Hamleys never fired all tags and sticky labels still on.

On that basis do I take the risk of flooding the market in the hope of becoming an instant Webley-millionaire???

The reason I think for the high price, apart of course because there must have been at least two serious bidders, is the fact that the Mk.3 was allegedly mint unused. As I am fond of saying there seems to be a huge difference in value between items where one might be in very good/excellent condition and the other is as new/boxed etc.

With the premium the Mk.3 cost someone £1430.

If the Weston's gun is as good as has been described then I wouldn't be that surprised if that ends up being sold in the not too distant? As they say, 'Find Another'?