Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Rifle to go for?

Which Rifle to go for?

Hi,

In the new year I will be purchasing one of those rifles that always seem to elude me. To be honest its a long list of wants but I wondered what the general consesus on here is regarding the short list... and how much do these generally go for?
    Hopefully christmas will be kind and I will be looking for either a BSA Superstar (.177 but I understand these are rarer than .22) or a BSA Airsporter with Rotating breech, again .177 preferred but....
    I have never owned an Airsporter and I am put off by the scope rail size but the RB version apparently had a raised scope rail! Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome as would a rough price guide.

The maxigrip rail makes changing seals a chore.
    And the rotating breech really needs good seals, plus the old BSA piston seals usually needs refreshing.
    Too many airguns!

Would you recommend a standard Airsporter over the RB system Evert?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Would you recommend a standard Airsporter over the RB system Evert?
    I have an old Mk1 Airsporter, which is a really nice gun. The Mk2 might have a scope rail? The Mk1 is a pure open sights gun.

But people who own the more modern versions of airsporters (mk3 and up) tend to say the RB is the one to choose.
    All the RB guns I've shot have been OK, but as stated, the Maxigrip makes servicing a bit more involved than with other guns.
    Too many airguns!

I will stick to the rotating breech, Protec have a Goldstar in for £175 but they are miles away! With fees from a RFD it would'nt be worth while

I would personally go with the Superstar, it’s my favourite Bsa springer.
    Not sure on values, I am often way off the mark.
    Les..

I think thats the nudge I needed Les. Thanks thats the first vote in!

I will stick to the rotating breech, Protec have a Goldstar in for £175 but they are miles away! With fees from a RFD it would'nt be worth while
    If its a .177 Goldstar I’d say go for it, even with rfd’s fees its still worth it……….
    All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

Its a .22, the RFD thing seems like a hassle so I have never done it. There are one or two on Gunstar etc but they seem expensive and giving money to a total stranger in these times is a leap of faith

That’s fair enough if its a .177 you’re after. Understand what you mean about the rfd thing too. Luckily a friend of mine from my club is one, and only lives 10 min from me so very handy 😊. I was fortunate enough to to pick up a Goldstar in said calibre from a member here, and then shortly after snagged a Superstar in the same flavour thru an online auction. Prob’ ended up paying a little over the odds for the latter taking the fees into account but not too much, and I wanted it ( or should that be needed………..&#128514
    Great to shoot, and at times I nearly lose the Superstar to my girlfriend as she loves shooting it. I always manage to wrestle it back from her at the end of the day tho.

Also get ya over parting with a lump of cash to someone the other end of the country too. Don’t really have any issues with distance buying thru the forum but Id certainly be doing some homework and asking a lot of questions of a seller from one or other of the well known sales sites.
    All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I've just checked Protek Website and it's a Superstar they have, not a Goldstar, thought it was a bit cheap for a Goldstar, I agree with Les, Superstars are nice and so are RB2 Airsporters, I'll happily have a Superstar carbine in my collection.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Yes your right it is a Superstar No Hands, my bad I was trying to multi task last night! I havent looked at the Goldstar but a BSA underlever is on my list now. After acquiring one of these I will start on the S series of Mercury guns etc.

Gizwaz-your living the dream having those rifles! I think .177 just cuts out a lot of pellet size hassle especially in the older rifles.... also cost!

edbear2 Guest
    I know someone who has had a Superstar carbine in .177 from new, very little use and VGC, I can make enquiries for you when at the club later this week, it may be that it will be available in the new year, not 100% sure, but no harm in asking!

ATB, Ed

Ed that would be very helpful I am sure and a great start of the search. I will be using it so used is better. Your help would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I would personally go with the Superstar, it’s my favourite Bsa springer.
    Not sure on values, I am often way off the mark.
    Les..
    I'd go Superstar, too. Most of the Airsporters I've tried haven't impressed. Conversely, very possibly all the Superstars I've tried DID impress.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!