Thread: BSA improved Model D prewar Lincoln Jeffries patent serial number 24xxx

BSA improved Model D prewar Lincoln Jeffries patent serial number 24xxx

I have been asked to deal with this rifle as part of a deceased estate. I know only a little bit about these rifles so an idea of price would be helpful as would a bit of information. The rifle which is .177 is in what I would describe as 'excellent condition' and I suspect that it may have been reblued at some stage in its long life. It shoots very smoothly. The serial number is 24xxx without any prefix letter. The woodwork is in decent order with the BSA triple rifle imprint pretty distinct and the loading tap moves smoothly as it should. The markings on the metalwork are: The BSA air rifle improved model D. Then underneath The birmingham Small Arms Company Limited then underneath 'sole manufacturers'
    On the underside of the cocking lever is written Lincoln Jeffries Patent 8/61/04 with the '04' not being completely clear.
    This rifle was owned by a fellow club member who has passed away and I have undertaken to get the best price for the widow who has expressed a wish that the rifle should go to an enthusiast. I have explained that an enthusiast is the most likely buyer anyway so over to my learned friends on here for their help in telling me all about the rifle.
    To be clear, I will distill the responses to this post and then I shall be offering the rifle for sale at what I hope will be an attractive price.
    Thanks for reading.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Just off the numbers in the serial number, it was made between the years 11/1908 and 01/1910.

I have quite a few of these and the prices I have paid range between £140 and £230.

Sometimes having them re-blued can make them less collectable to some collectors.

It would be good to see some photos of it if possible as it may be all original, there was a picture on here the other week posted by the chap over in the States and it looked to be in outstanding original condition which you would have thought could have just been re-blued.

Good luck with the sale.

Obviously just my thoughts.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ndy View Post
    Just off the numbers in the serial number, it was made between the years 11/1908 and 01/1910.

I have quite a few of these and the prices I have paid range between £140 and £230.

Sometimes having them re-blued can make them less collectable to some collectors.

It would be good to see some photos of it if possible as it may be all original, there was a picture on here the other week posted by the chap over in the States and it looked to be in outstanding original condition which you would have thought could have just been re-blued.

Good luck with the sale.

Obviously just my thoughts.
    You simply cannot tell what an unseen vintage BSA is just by the numbers, it could also be a 1925 gun, as BSA started them again after WW1.

The serial number is the start of working out what an unknown gun is, and actually is the least use unless you want the exact year, the stock / sights / cocking lever style / overall length are the main pointers, plus obviously other details as mentioned by NIck, ie. the Improved Model D (which I presume is impressed on the cylinder) and the Lincoln Patent on the cocking arm, which was not a post 1919 feature, so yes it does sound very much like a pre 1914 rifle.

ATB, ED

Very good point edbear2 makes about the serial number and the the 1920's, an observation easily overlooked.

Thanks for pointing that out.