Thread: Interesting Hy-Score case variation not even in John’s new book

Interesting Hy-Score case variation not even in John’s new book

Just snagged this case on an online auction and thought it would make an interesting post for several reasons. First these factory Hy-score cases are pretty rare. I posted pictures of my green one several years ago and the rarity was reinforced by DC Flecther at the time. I have only seen two others both green. One is pictured in John Griffiths’s new book that I just received last week. John states that the “deluxe factory case lined in green baize”. Fun to think that this new to me brown case adds just a little new knowledge about these cases. They were made in brown also, though this is the first one I have ever seen or heard of. In examining it my take is this was the earliest version. The label is printed on brown leather and glued to the lid. The green cases have the label embossed right on the baize; much nicer. Though the case is very similar there are other differences. Dimension are slightly different, leatherette outside covering has a very different grain as well. To me the green case was an improved version as it looks a little nicer. Somehow I doubt this will call for a 3rd edition of John’s book. Lol But could be an interesting quest, find something that isn’t in John’s new book, given its detail its got to be a difficult challenge that I seem to have lucked into?

https://imgur.com/a/6K9or3i
    Last edited by 45flint; 28-11-2022 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Just snagged this case on an online auction and thought it would make an interesting post for several reasons. First these factory Hy-score cases are pretty rare. I posted pictures of my green one several years ago and the rarity was reinforced by DC Flecther at the time. I have only seen two others both green. One is pictured in John Griffiths’s new book that I just received last week. John states that the “deluxe factory case lined in green baize”. Fun to think that this new to me brown case adds just a little new knowledge about these cases. They were made in brown also, though this is the first one I have ever seen or heard of. In examining it my take is this was the earliest version. The label is printed on brown leather and glued to the lid. The green cases have the label embossed right on the baize; much nicer. Though the case is very similar there are other differences. Dimension are slightly different, leatherette outside covering has a very different grain as well. To me the green case was an improved version as it looks a little nicer. Somehow I doubt this will call for a 3rd edition of John’s book. Lol But could be an interesting quest, find something that isn’t in John’s new book, given its detail its got to be a difficult challenge that I seem to have lucked into?

https://imgur.com/a/6K9or3i
    Steve you've done it again!

I'm sure John was aware when this edition was published that the process of new finds coming to light would continue from day one after it was printed! Perhaps an internet-friendly version of ESAP would be easier to update on an ongoing basis. Hasn't this happened with the Blue Book of Airguns?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Great looking pair of guns - I've never seen cased Hy-Scores like this over this side of the pond.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Great find Steve. That’s the beauty of research – there is always the unexpected to find.

In fact, since publishing my second edition, no less than four new discoveries have been made, yours being the fourth. One of them is even the discovery of a previously unknown prototype air pistol, corresponding exactly to an American ‘patented non-manufactured’ pistols discussed in Chapter 5 of the book. I can’t say more, as I do not want to steal the thunder of the finder, who will be detailing his new find in the Gallery when his own researches are complete, but it is an amazing find.

The question of updating the book is a tricky one, as there is definitely not going to be a third edition. I like the suggestion made by an American collector, namely that I continue to record new data and at suitable intervals produce pdf’s as addenda to the book, and post them in the Vintage Airgun Gallery for general access.

Danny’s suggestion of an internet version of the Encylcopedia is an interesting one, but at present I have to concentrate on book sales in order to recoup my financial outlay. It is going to be a bit of a long haul.

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Great find Steve. That’s the beauty of research – there is always the unexpected to find.

In fact, since publishing my second edition, no less than four new discoveries have been made, yours being the fourth. One of them is even the discovery of a previously unknown prototype air pistol, corresponding exactly to an American ‘patented non-manufactured’ pistols discussed in Chapter 5 of the book. I can’t say more, as I do not want to steal the thunder of the finder, who will be detailing his new find in the Gallery when his own researches are complete, but it is an amazing find.

The question of updating the book is a tricky one, as there is definitely not going to be a third edition. I like the suggestion made by an American collector, namely that I continue to record new data and at suitable intervals produce pdf’s as addenda to the book, and post them in the Vintage Airgun Gallery for general access.

Danny’s suggestion of an internet version of the Encylcopedia is an interesting one, but at present I have to concentrate on book sales in order to recoup my financial outlay. It is going to be a bit of a long haul.

Cheers,
    John
    Well you have me reading chapter 5 pretty carefully.