Thread: BSA Mercury Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Dorn, Evert, thanks for the responses. I always thought that BSA (other than Meteors) had that odd scope size-I will now double check though the Mercurys that I have are both MK2 variants. I would love to find an Airsporter with standard 11mm grooves, that would save some hassle.

last question for a while... is there a strip/guide other than the sticky on here? Unscrewing the end of a Mercury will be a new experience though I am not too worried about the spring pressure as I do have some bulk-been training a lifetime for this apparantly

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    last question for a while... is there a strip/guide other than the sticky on here? Unscrewing the end of a Mercury will be a new experience though I am not too worried about the spring pressure as I do have some bulk-been training a lifetime for this apparantly
    It will probably be unproblematic.... But thick insulated leather gloves are a great help when the time comes to reassemble the gun with a fresh spring.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Dorn, Evert, thanks for the responses. I always thought that BSA (other than Meteors) had that odd scope size-I will now double check though the Mercurys that I have are both MK2 variants. I would love to find an Airsporter with standard 11mm grooves, that would save some hassle.

Unscrewing Mercurys and Airspoters is not so difficult once you get the thread going. I'm looking at an end block now there is a good 20+ mm of thread to undo, the old spring will have shortened over time and the pressure on the block will not be as great as when you try to put a new one back in. Hold the gun pointing down on something soft like cloth on top of your best Axmister hold the cylinder with one hand and unscrew from the end block held to resist the turning with your other hand. When you have one cm of exposed thread put some pressure on it yourself and continue to unwind the cylinder with your other hand whilst now being ready to take the force from the spring as it finally unscrews. this is where the single leather glove comes in to protect the palm of your hand.
    When you reassemble you will have to fight a much stronger spring, UNLESS you got to Welsh Willy and install one of his kits, he shortens the spring so there is very little pre load, loads easier.
    I've got two WW kits now Merc and Airsporter.

Evert, Dorn. Thank you. I will take heed and source a glove to help with grip. I did consider a Welsh Willy kit but Chambers are offering a refurb kit for £19... very cheap-I may even buy one more for another Mercury and one for a Meteor.
    I am hoping that before christmas I will have enough parts to rebuild my none working Mercury and be able to fit a scope on it with mounts TO48 from Ramsbottom, something I have long wanted to do to a Mercury and an Airsporter though I have never owned the latter (so far).
    What would be the best finish? A reblue or repaint similar to a Meteor.
    Thanks again for the help and advice, having a knowledge base to fall back on is extremely helpful.