Thread: Is the XM1 a tarted up P35?

Is the XM1 a tarted up P35?

I asked at my dealers for spare magazines for my Stoeger XM1 bullpup.
    I was led to believe this rifle has the same action as the Snowflake, sorry Snowpeak P35 (don't see what was wrong with Artemis, it had a powerful classical gravitas).

It would appear that the action - or the breech at least - is different as the P35 mags don't fit. I tried a few mags. There was no obvious outward difference, but they wouldn't fit.

Were I a suspicious person, I might think things have been 'tweaked' to reduce commonality.

Can anyone shed light on this?

The XM1 trigger is "not adjustable". Is this correct?
    The problem with being old is that you can remember when things weren't crap. Sometimes.

Im told they are snowpeaks as they (SP) will batch up and make you anything, I believe its called the fox in Spain, just a modified p35 that wad a modified Artemis p15 that Diana cloned or something like that.
    There’s a batch labelled Stinger now that are also snowpeaks as a mate tried getting parts from them to fix his Artemis stuff but no joy.

Can you get spare parts for this xm1 as it will help supply the Artemis stuff for those who cant get bits

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

It looks like Bagnall and Kirkwood have spare mags for the XM1 BP. Different mag from the XM1 rifle unfortunately. Some dealers don't know that the BP and P35 magazines are different.
    FWIW the P35 mag has a slotted slotted head for the ball catch retaining screw, the XM1 BP has a hex socket. Took me a while to notice that.
    I'll do a review when I get mine back from repair, might be useful to someone. It's a nice rifle, but not worth the £650 claimed RRP, that's nearing Walther Reign territory. The £490 or so that it seems to be selling for now is more realistic (that's what I paid).
    The problem with being old is that you can remember when things weren't crap. Sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrott View Post
    It looks like Bagnall and Kirkwood have spare mags for the XM1 BP. Different mag from the XM1 rifle unfortunately. Some dealers don't know that the BP and P35 magazines are different.
    FWIW the P35 mag has a slotted slotted head for the ball catch retaining screw, the XM1 BP has a hex socket. Took me a while to notice that.
    I'll do a review when I get mine back from repair, might be useful to someone. It's a nice rifle, but not worth the £650 claimed RRP, that's nearing Walther Reign territory. The £490 or so that it seems to be selling for now is more realistic (that's what I paid).
    I see the same with the Artemis p15, a mate bought his for £275 when they fitst cone out a few months latet I bought one for £300 and now their £500, just not a £500 gun as its very shoddy and hit and miss if you get a working gun.

Snowpeak will badge you up something if you order a few thousand, Im sure Diana bought lots of p15 actions and put them in better stocks and charged 650

It happens a lot in Turkey too as I believe there to be two main manufacturers pumping other brands out that all have something in common, definitely a lot of Turkish cousins around
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

i liked my p15 but had to spend a good few quid on it to work right

Really annoying when you spend hundreds of pounds and still have to do the company's Quality Assurance for them.
    Bought six, got two duff ones.
    Should be free if it's a bad 'un!