Thread: Diana G80

Diana G80

I have just been given a Diana G80 its in bits but all there apart from the sights, can anyone tell me what power the G80 did from new I know any rifle can be changed to produce diffrent powers but what was the standard power of these new.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    I have just been given a Diana G80 its in bits but all there apart from the sights, can anyone tell me what power the G80 did from new I know any rifle can be changed to produce diffrent powers but what was the standard power of these new.
    The one I have is or was producing just under 10 ft lbs. I'm sure they were not more when new.
    I think they have special interest as they were the last model Milbro made. I've always fancied a .177 to make a pair but almost everything then was .22.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple View Post
    The one I have is or was producing just under 10 ft lbs. I'm sure they were not more when new.
    I think they have special interest as they were the last model Milbro made. I've always fancied a .177 to make a pair but almost everything then was .22.
    Yes I forgot to say the one i have is .22

My mate had a Diana G80 back in the late 70s and it accounted for many rats 🐀 and other vermin at short to medium range.
    Les..

Hi,
    A great rifle, I had one back in the late 70s in 177 with a milbro diopter sight, very accurate rifle, and now year later have a .22 G80.
    Thay wasn't power guns, and running around 10ft,lbs is about right, but that make up in the accuracy dept.
    The main let down was the plastic trigger.
    There is an original rearsight on ( the bay!)

10ftlbs in standard form sounds about right for a G80.

The Diana G80 was to the best of my knowledge the first springer to be sold as already tuned to 12ftlbs by Eddie Barber of Airgunaid.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    10ftlbs in standard form sounds about right for a G80.

The Diana G80 was to the best of my knowledge the first springer to be sold as already tuned to 12ftlbs by Eddie Barber of Airgunaid.

All the best Mick
    If it does 10 ft lbs that will do me, Thanks all for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    Yes I forgot to say the one i have is .22
    I know the g80 was advertised as .177 and .22 but I can't remember ever seeing one in the smaller calibre.
    I think they marketed the .177 as a target model with an aperture sight in a similar way Webley did with the mk3. You could buy the standard model in both in the smaller calibre.

I know the g80 was advertised as .177 and .22 but I can't remember ever seeing one in the smaller calibre.
    I think they marketed the .177 as a target model with an aperture sight in a similar way Webley did with the mk3. You could buy the standard model in both in the smaller calibre.
    I've only seen the .177" G80 over here in Norway and it is scarcer than the G79.
    The G80 that was up for sale some time ago was a bit too expensive for me, but I think it came with both peep/aperture rear sight and the normal rear sight.
    Too many airguns!

Sorry Maple but that's not quite correct.

The Diana G80 was sold in .177" as a normal sporter alongside the .22" guns, I know this is true as I bought a tuned .177" G80 by mail order from Airgunaid on behalf of my brother as he was under 17.

Unfortunately, after hanging on to my brother's Airgunaid tuned .177" G 80 for years he asked for it back about the same time as I joined the forum, so I never have had the chance to open it up and see how it was tuned.

As far as I can remember there was a target version of the G80 as you say, and Airgunaid sold a target version of the G80 in .20" alongside their .20" sporter.
    Again from memory I think these were badged as the Airgunaid TR and Airgunaid SP --- a search on here will throw up some results on this to correct me.

All the best Mick

I bought a G80 second hand about a year ago in .177 cal and thought at the time that is was quite powerful and I recall chrono-ing it and it produced about 10 ft-lb if I remember correctly.

It was a rather strange variant of the G80 in the respect that someone had replaced the foresight with a ring on a post screwed into the muzzle which together with the open square notch rear sight giving quite an odd sight combination (I guess the original front sight was a blade), but I only paid £35 for it so I am not complaining!

Aubrey

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    Hi,
    A great rifle, I had one back in the late 70s in 177 with a milbro diopter sight, very accurate rifle, and now year later have a .22 G80.
    Thay wasn't power guns, and running around 10ft,lbs is about right, but that make up in the accuracy dept.
    The main let down was the plastic trigger.
    There is an original rearsight on ( the bay!)
    Do you know the number of the one on the bay i can not find it.

Diana G80

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Sorry Maple but that's not quite correct.

The Diana G80 was sold in .177" as a normal sporter alongside the .22" guns, I know this is true as I bought a tuned .177" G80 by mail order from Airgunaid on behalf of my brother as he was under 17.

Unfortunately, after hanging on to my brother's Airgunaid tuned .177" G 80 for years he asked for it back about the same time as I joined the forum, so I never have had the chance to open it up and see how it was tuned.

As far as I can remember there was a target version of the G80 as you say, and Airgunaid sold a target version of the G80 in .20" alongside their .20" sporter.
    Again from memory I think these were badged as the Airgunaid TR and Airgunaid SP --- a search on here will throw up some results on this to correct me.

All the best Mick
    Think i used a meteor spring in mine, tuned it to the eddie barber article in airgun world, i also shimmed the side play out of the trigger with some small nylon electrical washers i found & polished the sears lightly. It's just a normal spit & polish tune inc deburring & smoothing, no chrono's in those days but it was more powerful & accurate than my mate airsporter much to his distaste as he sold it to me for a tenner with a cracked stock around the forend screws. Think i had the guide turned down at school on the lathe to fit the spring too. I'd guess it made a shade over 11 ft/lbs in .22 with superdomes or hobbys which i used at the time .