Thread: Airsporter action moving in stock foreend

Airsporter action moving in stock foreend

Morning All,

I bought an Airsporter to tidy up a while ago, but not looked at it properly since it arrived.

Everything seems ok but the action moves slightly at the foreend - this cant be right and must affect accuracy...Having looked at it, there is a stock fixing bracket attached to the action by a small threaded stud and nut..the two stock foreend screws fix to this bracket.. there was a small amount of play in the bracket allowing it to slide along the action by about 5mm...I tighened this nut up and the stock and action now have no movement - this is good. However having tightened it, the underlever wont operate - is the small amount of movement in the bracket necessary to allow the underlever to move? If so how do you eliminate the stock/action movement?

So, what am i doing wrong? is something missing, bent? or does this nut need to be carefully nipped up just enough to secure the stock but still allow the underlever to operate? does the bracket need to be locked at a certain angle?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jon

I would say loosen it very slightly, you now have the ability to position it properly for your stock screws and it can slide. Try that and see if it works loose. I assume it is a later one Mk4- 6. My Mk6 is like that my Mk1 is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    I would say loosen it very slightly, you now have the ability to position it properly for your stock screws and it can slide. Try that and see if it works loose. I assume it is a later one Mk4- 6. My Mk6 is like that my Mk1 is different.
    Thanks Ill try that tonight

Not sure if this helps or not but I think I'd take the stock off & have a look at the bracket & stud it fits on. I'd wonder if the bracket had too large a clearance hole & it allowed the bracket to move too much on the stud, or maybe its bent. I'd also have a look at a parts diagram to see if it needs a locking washer on it & maybe consider a new one too. I'm guessing the bracket is put on fairly firmly first, then the front stock screws alignment checked, the stock removed & then the bracket tightened properly then stock back on & front screws in if it is still aligned ok. The stock fit alignment check should be done with the rear bolt done up as it could well pull the whole action back when done.
    As I say not too sure about this. I dont think I'd like to try firing it with anything loose. It will be interesting to see what others think but I'd be rather cautious.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    The mounting bracket has a slot for the bolt so it can be adjusted for the side mounting screws, as said above, put the action in the stock and do up the rear stock bolt, make sure the mounting bracket is a little lose and then adjust the bracket so that the mounting holes in the stock line up with the threaded holes, put your screws in and then you should be able to tighten up the mounting bracket bolt with some pliers through the cocking slot of the stock (obviously cock the underlever first, make sure the hook part of the bolt is facing forward (and backwards), hopefully the underlever will then click onto the hooks, I have had it before that the hooks have been to far forward that you can't get the push button to disengage from the hook.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Redcastle View Post
    Morning All,

I bought an Airsporter to tidy up a while ago, but not looked at it properly since it arrived.

Everything seems ok but the action moves slightly at the foreend - this cant be right and must affect accuracy...Having looked at it, there is a stock fixing bracket attached to the action by a small threaded stud and nut..the two stock foreend screws fix to this bracket.. there was a small amount of play in the bracket allowing it to slide along the action by about 5mm...I tighened this nut up and the stock and action now have no movement - this is good. However having tightened it, the underlever wont operate - is the small amount of movement in the bracket necessary to allow the underlever to move? If so how do you eliminate the stock/action movement?

So, what am i doing wrong? is something missing, bent? or does this nut need to be carefully nipped up just enough to secure the stock but still allow the underlever to operate? does the bracket need to be locked at a certain angle?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jon

It is how it should be but there should be two nuts so you can lock them together at the correct tension allowing the stock not to move but the underlever to move freely.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer