Thread: What’s the best way to find a specific model and calibre of airgun

What’s the best way to find a specific model and calibre of airgun

I’m not a collector of classic air guns. However after a brush with the C word (all good now) I’m making sure I do a few things I’ve been deferring for some decades so I don’t miss out. One such thing is getting the personally unobtainable and for me most desirable air rifle of my youth and learning to shoot better.

The air rifle and calibre I have in mind is reasonably well known and they crop up every 6 weeks or so but are gone before I can get to the vendor or are at the other end of the country (I’m in Northumberland which doesn’t have lots of classic Airguns) and most often both.

Gun star and Gun trader are proving ineffective. Are there any other ways you guys find the rifles you are looking for?

Thanks

Err, talking to people, get a wanted add up on here, chat to local gun shops.... Mine has a pile of CBAs which always has strange stuff in....

Ask on here and be patient works for me.

As above but also consider joining a local airgun club who often provide a range of shooting disciplines and established members will normally provide advice on what to buy to suit your interests and they may be aware of a source of the gun you have set your mind on. These clubs also normally have a selection of 'club guns' you could try out.

What are you after?

The advice I received when I joined this forum, which has put me in good stead, is patience! Everything comes up, eventually.

Five years later, I now have a dozen but could be interested in one or two more, as and when they appear. There really is no rush.

Rgds
    A

I’ve always put a wanted ad here and elsewhere that guns change hands and they’ve eventually come up trumps for me. Another tack is to scroll thru the existing wanteds and see if anyone else was after the same as you and if they were offered one or more but passed it/them up. That has worked for me too.

As you already know it can take some time for anything to crop up but it’s always worth it in the end, sometimes more so because you’ve had to be patient in your search.

Best of luck and remember, good things come to those who wait…..👍🏻
    All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

The very first thing you do is say what you're looking for and not be so coy about it
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I Don't collect so much these days but one of my dream rifles appeared the other day. Been waiting 36 years to get my hands on one and now I have. It's beening serviced at the moment but once done I'll pop pics up. Mach 1.5

If I have to wait another 36 years I’ll be 90……

Quote Originally Posted by Ajf123 View Post
    I’ve tried a few times and it wasn’t posted up so I wondered if wanted adds from newbies were prohibited.
    Yes they are prohibited.

The BBS is an airgunforum with a sales and wanted section added for contributing members to use --- it is not a sales site.

When someone's first post is an attempted wanted or sales advert it is normally deleted due to this rule. :-

"If you've just come here to buy and sell stuff without contributing anything to the forum, you may well be gagged and offending posts removed."

All the best Mick

Understood. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajf123 View Post
    Understood. Sorry.
    No problem, Sir.

Good luck in your search.

All the best Mick

Now I’ve got the wanted add up in the correct place, here is hopefully a more appropriate question.

The thing I’m after is German made and there are more in Europe than the U.K.

While feels like it’s going to be a faff on I could in theory buy one in Europe and import it, only the idea of importing any firearm x border feels like it’s going to be really complex and I’ve no idea what one does about relative power - I do not have and do not want a FAC.

Has anyone bought an air rifle overseas and personally imported it. Presumably it would need to be checked over as being within limits before being imported.
    Last edited by Ajf123; 15-12-2022 at 11:05 PM.