Thread: Diana 25, is it worthless ?

Diana 25, is it worthless ?

Hello collectors, I hope everyone had a good Christmas.

A mate has been given this old Diana model 25, and wanted to know its age and if it has any value ? Not having a clue, I thought I'd turn to you guys in the collectors section.

It's in pretty bad condition, with plenty of rust. I haven't even tried firing it... I don't think I dare.

Some photo's here
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

Quote Originally Posted by jeff0100 View Post
    Hello collectors, I hope everyone had a good Christmas.

A mate has been given this old Diana model 25, and wanted to know its age and if it has any value ? Not having a clue, I thought I'd turn to you guys in the collectors section.

It's in pretty bad condition, with plenty of rust. I haven't even tried firing it... I don't think I dare.

Some photo's here
    For these the date could be stamped on the left side of the barrel breech or maybe the cylinder, can't be sure also could be stamped in the butt end of the stock, 4 digits month and year, although often worn away as they get stood on their ends on rough surfaces quite often, I'd expect early 60's and think they were mid 50' to mid 60's. On my one the breech has a serial and the butt has the date (1960).
    As they are small junior sized the following is much lesser than full size types of the period.
    In that condition value will be low. Send it to be restored & you'll spend far far more than the end value, do it yourself and the time involved will not match the return plus you'll probably have to purchase seals & spring.
    I have one as the second owner I got 30 years ago in quite nice condition for £20 at the time but if I took it to a gun shop sadly I reckon I'd be offered well below £100 if they even made an offer because I did once touch on this with one buyer/seller. Shame to think this and of course just my thoughts, ideal to practice restoring on though.
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

It's a post-war German-made model 25, dating to the late 1950's or early 60's - the stamped metal rear sight and neat little flats milled on top of the breech jaws are identifiers.

Near-identical guns were made before the war in Germany and after the war by Milbro in Scotland. A slightly cheapened (but still very nice) version continued in Germany up into the early 1980's.

Obviously not worth much money in this condition - or even after restoring. But no junior-sized rifle of similar quality is made today, and those early ones are relatively rare. It looks to be complete, but the cocking link may be bent (perhaps triggered off with the barrel open). The dovetail-mounted rear sight is a loss but believe it or not you can still find new ones from German suppliers. Not a money-maker but could be a fun "project gun" and one a young marksman might really enjoy.

It would certainly need a new breech seal; the original was probably leather, but an O-ring (usually needs thin shims beneath) will work. Believe it or not, the mainspring and leather piston seal may actually be OK, they used very high-quality materials back then. The seal will likely need cleaning and reconditioning.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 27-12-2022 at 05:49 PM.

I will follow this with interest as I have been looking for the larger Diana 27 and have no idea what they are really worth. The 25 I have to say looks very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    I will follow this with interest as I have been looking for the larger Diana 27 and have no idea what they are really worth. The 25 I have to say looks very similar.
    I'd be interested too as I have a couple of 60's 27's that I ought to let go.
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Bought a '50's 25 in 177 from here a few years back, lovely little plinker. I was after a '50's 27 in .22, & got the 25 to fill in. Still got it!
    As I've got older, find the Junior/youth guns as much fun, & easier to use, than their bigger brothers.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.