Thread: Service lube?

Service lube?

Best way to lube a loading tap on rebuild? For an old BSA what is the best treatment, light gun oil or a particular grease? to hand I have motor Castrol LM, silicon or Abbey LT2 molybdenum, am I best to source something more correct?
    I know some one who uses the car type grease on everything and laughs when I say there are more suitable greases per different areas of the action such as the tap, spring, trigger & piston etc if you know what's what.
    Last edited by stevegv8; 28-12-2022 at 12:54 PM.
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

There was a good thread recently in collectables
    What-grease-should-I-use-to-reduce-seepage-from-loading-tap-leak. Plenty of ideas here even if you have no leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    There was a good thread recently in collectables
    What-grease-should-I-use-to-reduce-seepage-from-loading-tap-leak. Plenty of ideas here even if you have no leaks.
    Yes I remember that from earlier this month, I seem to recall it leaning towards products for taps if worn though, I think mine is good from how it worked pre strip down so wondered if a light smear of thin oil would be sufficient and lasting? as I think the moly grease will make it drag a little. Was looking for sound advice for re assurance.
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    Yes I remember that from earlier this month, I seem to recall it leaning towards products for taps if worn though, I think mine is good from how it worked pre strip down so wondered if a light smear of thin oil would be sufficient and lasting? as I think the moly grease will make it drag a little. Was looking for sound advice for re assurance.
    I've used Maccaris Clear tar on several tap loaders with success. If I understand correctly it is a grease with PTFE.
    Stay away from silicone products as they can cause wear/galling. (yes, I've ruined a gun with it myself).
    Too many airguns!

Try super lube it contain's PTFE , https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/lubrican...greases/f/7663

as above saw it on you tube