Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last buy of the year - BSA 1914 Standard with Lyman Aperture sight

Last buy of the year - BSA 1914 Standard with Lyman Aperture sight

Finally picked up a preWW1 BSA to add to my collection. This one has been Americanized with the addition of a Lyman aperture sight. This model sight was introduced in 1938 so it’s not contemporary with the rifle but is a milled steel early model probably from the 1940-50?. It’s actually a beautiful example all milled steel before they cheapened them. Ironically fits in well with my collection, all my BSA lights are aperture sighted with rear sight removed. Have a beautiful prewar Haenel model 3 with a contemporary Lyman aperature. Must be my destiny? Lol. Rifle cleaned up pretty well. The tube etching is visible but not great. It seems to have one of the twin springs missing? It locks up fine but spring is way too short? Will have to take it apart. Winter project. Very cool to have a rifle to match Adder emoji.

https://imgur.com/a/Pt5a0eF

Lyman sight

https://imgur.com/a/vMdgcOM
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-12-2022 at 04:55 PM.

Lovely looking gun Only over a centuary older than the AA S510 I picked up today as my last gun of the year. Though the sight isn't quite right, it does look good and is beautifully made. Enjoy.

Beauty, that must have been owned by a serious rifleman back in the day.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Lovely looking gun Only over a centuary older than the AA S510 I picked up today as my last gun of the year. Though the sight isn't quite right, it does look good and is beautifully made. Enjoy.
    I can appreciate what you are saying about the sight. I had questions as to whether I should go for it given I tend to like orginal examples. But I think it comes under the heading you sometimes have to collect them as you find them. Below is the Haenel 3 with a Lyman aperature, totally awesome to me given its contemporary. Over here Lyman was our alternative.

Last edited by 45flint; 30-12-2022 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Finally picked up a preWW1 BSA to add to my collection. This one has been Americanized with the addition of a Lyman aperture sight. This model sight was introduced in 1938 so it’s not contemporary with the rifle but is a milled steel early model probably from the 1940-50?. It’s actually a beautiful example all milled steel before they cheapened them. Ironically fits in well with my collection, all my BSA lights are aperture sighted with rear sight removed. Have a beautiful prewar Haenel model 3 with a contemporary Lyman aperature. Must be my destiny? Lol. Rifle cleaned up pretty well. The tube etching is visible but not great. It seems to have one of the twin springs missing? It locks up fine but spring is way too short? Will have to take it apart. Winter project. Very cool to have a rifle to match Adder emoji.

https://imgur.com/a/Pt5a0eF

Lyman sight

https://imgur.com/a/vMdgcOM
    What a lovely example, that Lyman sight really suits the rifle.

I had a Lyman on my Marlin 1894, they are a very good sight, neater and better than the equivalent Williams.

What a beautiful gun and sight.
    Happy new year, Louis

very nice rifle

A double sear model too, about 350 serial numbers away from my straight hand stock model & 2000 from my one with the same stock. Is it a 43 or 45 inch version?
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    A double sear model too, about 350 serial numbers away from my straight hand stock model & 2000 from my one with the same stock. Is it a 43 or 45 inch version?
    Its a 45 inch. Did they make a 43 during this time? Confusing to me, this was called a Sporting? Measured it last night and was reading in John’s new book trying to figure things out.

Its a 45 inch. Did they make a 43 during this time? Confusing to me, this was called a Sporting? Measured it last night and was reading in John’s new book trying to figure things out.
    Hi Steve,

Yes, BSA made both 43 and 45 inch long Standards just before WW1 commenced.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Steve,

Yes, BSA made both 43 and 45 inch long Standards just before WW1 commenced.

Kind regards,

John
    Fasinating, which length was most common? In reading John’s book it looks like the 43 is .177 and the 45 is .22.
    Last edited by 45flint; 31-12-2022 at 11:09 PM.

Fasinating, which length was most common? In reading John’s book it looks like the 43 is .177 and the 45 is .22.
    Yes, that's right. Not sure which is more common - I've owned 3 .177s over the years and one .22 but that is by no means a definitive fact that .22 is rarer, just my experience.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Yes, that's right. Not sure which is more common - I've owned 3 .177s over the years and one .22 but that is by no means a definitive fact that .22 is rarer, just my experience.

John
    I would image that 22’s were the most common export to the US, thats just what we would have expected to see at that time. We weren’t bell ringers, we were the “sporting” type?

So were there both calibres in both lengths or are we saying .177 was always the shorter version? And then of course does .25 come into it for this double sear model? I wonder if the missus will tolerate me getting John's book out again after lunch?
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    So were there both calibres in both lengths or are we saying .177 was always the shorter version? And then of course does .25 come into it for this double sear model? I wonder if the missus will tolerate me getting John's book out again after lunch?
    John will probably correct me if I’m wrong but I have read John’s book on the double sear model way too many times since I got this. Lol I think at the time of the double sear they realized 22 was more efficient thus no double sear 25s? And caliber determined length?