Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anschutz 335 - truly amazing accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    I knew nothing about this but if anyone can obtain chapter and verse, and any article, I will send this through to Anschutz - and then give them another little push to update their 335 (which will probably fall on deaf ears!).

Am delighted to have been of service re the dates of production.

Rgds
    A

I thought I had read somewhere that the most accurate rifle tested by SAR was a 177 Diana 45 but the 77 was easier to achieve accuracy with due to weight and small piston etc?

There was a mk2 335 in 177 at my local gunshop a couple of weeks ago. It was priced s bit steep for me but it was in good nick with a scope, just missing its front sight unfortunately. Anyway, its gone now and I can relax!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Many thanks andrewM for your efforts resulting in a speedy informative reply from the manufacturers.
    Kind regards....

[QUOTE=maximus;8203365]I thought I had read somewhere that the most accurate rifle tested by SAR was a 177 Diana 45 but the 77 was easier to achieve accuracy with due to weight and small piston etc?

That's what was written.

May I ask who SAR is?

I will send any helpful articles to Anschutz; I am sure they will find this type of thing of interest. I would especially like to see the report on the HW80 and 335 combination, if anyone has this.

Rgds
    A

It was a magazine called Sporting Air Rifle Edited by Jim Tyler. Great magazine but unfortunately short lived. My cousin had the subscription to SAR and I kept up with airgun world so we could swap and read both 🙂
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

'Twas the best magazine EVER. But like maximus has said, unfortunately, short lived.

Andrew. Your efforts have been brilliant and applaudable. Unfortunately, I fear that in today's market place, most manufacturers won't have the appetite to invest in a new top-end, quality springer project. Even if they were to remanufacture to an existing / old design.

As said earlier in the thread, Feinwerkbau and Umarex / Walther made valiant attempts in recent years but have since pulled the plug. A real travesty. It would have been lovely if the market would have supported their continued production and spurred on others, like Anschutz, to re-introduce their own spring-piston models.

Blimey. We had it so good for springers up to the 80s/90s.
    Last edited by TonyL; 25-01-2023 at 06:50 AM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    'Twas the best magazine EVER. But like maximus has said, unfortunately, short lived.

Andrew. Your efforts have been brilliant and applaudable. Unfortunately, I fear that in today's market place, most manufacturers won't have the appetite to invest in a new top-end, quality springer project. Even if they were to remanufacture to an existing / old design.

As said earlier in the thread, Feinwerkbau and Umarex / Walther made valiant attempts in recent years but have since pulled the plug. A real travesty. It would have been lovely if the market would have supported their continued production and spurred on others, like Anschutz, to re-introduce their own spring-piston models.

Blimey. We had it so good for springers up to the 80s/90s.

Tony, you are probably right. The withdrawal of FWB many years ago, with its super-excellent reputation and, more recently, Walther's LGV/LGU, both demonstrate that the advantage has probably swung in favour of PCPs and, in doing so, much reduced the demand for quality springers. HW has mopped up the springer market, which is not healthy from the viewpoint of consumer choice (with some competition coming from Diana and the superlative Air Arms - but are its barrels not from Germany?). I dare say, however, that HW cannot compete with the 335 barrel.

It comes down to economics. What would the price be to redesign the 335, which would not need major overhauling? Presumably, at least, the barrel would not be an onerous burden because Anschutz already make them for their PCPs and target springers. There would be a few niggles that would require attention, including the front stock screws and the cylinder would probably have to be enlengthened to raise the power a tad. The trigger would probably require attention, although I am happy with it as it is. The next question is how big is the European and global market for these rifles? What is the cost of accommodating the 12ft lbs requirement of the UK market? Is there a UK company that would be prepared to share the development costs, perhaps? Indeed, is there an individual who could perfect these improvements and advise Anschutz?

I do not know the answer to these questions but I do know that I would buy a modern 335 were this possible.

If someone can provide copies of the articles referred to above, or let me have a compelling reason, I am happy to go back to Anschutz again. I think, as a brand, their name is probably second to none - at least in terms of barrels - and probably exceeds that of Walther, which is better known for its pistols. At least, to this extent, it already sells itself.

Oh well, there are my humble thoughts in imagining what could be possible but is probably most unlikely!

Rgds
    A

Andrew, don't be forgetting the more recently introduced (and, very sadly, also later discontinued) Feinwerkbau Sport. Again, a beautifully engineered rifle, although not optimised out of the box for our market.
    Over in General Airgun we've been hoping for years for the likes of HW to sell more UK-specific optimised rifles by fitting them with different length piston rods to alter the stroke, rather than just fitting different length / strength springs. And even factory "tuned" ones with simply custom fitted (to the individual spring) rear guide and top hat. If the mighty HW aren't able / willing to do this, I think there is little to no chance of other manufacturers committing to quality springer projects. Although, of course, I'd love it to happen.
    Just imagine, factory "fettled" Weihrauchs, the re-emergence of Anschutz, Feinwerkbau and Walther and GSG / Diana committing more heavily to quality, German made springers.......heaven.
    Oh, and that Air Arms break barrel that many have been yearning for a re-launch of..

P.S......Andrew, I don't know how do-able it might be for you but I'm sure you'd love the feel and ambience of a Boinger Bash.
    Last edited by TonyL; 26-01-2023 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Boinger Bash
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Andrew, don't be forgetting the more recently introduced (and, very sadly, also later discontinued) Feinwerkbau Sport. Again, a beautifully engineered rifle, although not optimised out of the box for our market.
    Over in General Airgun we've been hoping for years for the likes of HW to sell more UK-specific optimised rifles by fitting them with different length piston rods to alter the stroke, rather than just fitting different length / strength springs. And even factory "tuned" ones with simply custom fitted (to the individual spring) rear guide and top hat. If the mighty HW aren't able / willing to do this, I think there is little to no chance of other manufacturers committing to quality springer projects. Although, of course, I'd love it to happen.
    Just imagine, factory "fettled" Weihrauchs, the re-emergence of Anschutz, Feinwerkbau and Walther and GSG / Diana committing more heavily to quality, German made springers.......heaven.
    Oh, and that Air Arms break barrel that many have been yearning for a re-launch of..

P.S......Andrew, I don't know how do-able it might be for you but I'm sure you'd love the feel and ambience of a Boinger Bash.

Thanks Tony for your interesting thoughts. I am not 'tech gifted' but I understand your points.

I would like to have seen the new FWB but I don't think it was designed or launched for the UK market. Moreover, it was only in 177. A strange situation, I think, to create a new model and then not seek to exploit the biggest market in Europe where there already exists enormous goodwill. As I understand it, they had to be specially imported by individuals and only a handful appeared here.

I am sure it would be very easy to use different piston rods for the UK market, at almost no cost. Without figures in terms of initial research and development (which I am sure would not be onerous) and the costs of setting up a production line (which is probably where the expenses lie), it is difficult to estimate what might be feasible. I recall reading about the superb Greener air rifle on the BBS, I think it was. It was a side-line, with limited production runs, often used when the plant was doing little. I gather a very limited production even carried on into the '60s.

I am sure the know-how is relatively simple; almost everything that can be known about springers is known, with merely some of the variables fluctuating.

I would be very happy to approach Anschutz again but I feel I would require a compelling reason to stimulate their interest. I have no knowledge of costs, market size, potential selling price, profit margins, etc. The Greener situation sounds a workable option, whereby air rifle production absorbs the slack. One wonders how many rifles would have to be sold to cover the set-up costs and then generate profits.

I can see that this is of significant interest to many, judging by the large number of views this thread has had. Clearly, it has struck a chord with many and I wish I could pull a rabbit from out of the hat!

I would be delighted to attend a boinger bash and meet some of the excellent people who post here. I am in the South East and I think these are held some distance from me, alas.

Warmest rgds
    A