I bought a 335 in 177, Mk 1 (with the older sliding scale open sights and the bolt release mechanism, which was parallel to the barrel), from a gunsmith last year for £235 (8 out of 10 for condition). Not a bad price, I thought, albeit slightly expensive compared with what occasionally is offered here, but these are not easy to find. I read about their performance on this site and the pleasing reports from owners persuaded me to get one.

I have only had an opportunity to test it out properly today, on which I mounted a simple Hawke 4x32 scope.

I am astonished at the accuracy of this rifle, with close clover leaf groups at just under 25yds, firing from a table using a cushioned rest.

However, whilst testing it out, I noticed scope creep. Happily, the Hawke has an anti-recoil screw and I placed this into one of the stud holes at the rear of the 335 cylinder which, I think, might have been designed for fitting the Anschutz peep sight. Assuming the anti-recoil screw does not snap, that should deal with this problem.

Despite what some detractors have observed about the trigger, I find this to be more than satisfactory and it is easy to master.

I used JSB Exacts, 4.52mm, 7.33gr. These operated at a slightly flatter trajectory than the larger 8.44gr JSBs in 4.51mm, albeit the accuracy appears similar. Perhaps the tighter 4.52mm just has the edge.

One criticism: the stock screws work loose, especially the front two. Not sure what to do about this. I wonder if others have noticed this problem or am I alone?

The Anschutz peep sight, No 6706, is advertised in the manual which someone here kindly sent me. I wonder how this sight performs, if anyone has used it.

It surprises me that this magnificent rifle was not continued but I suppose they were rather late to the game, by which time every other manufacturer had cleaned up. However, they must surely be one of the most accurate springers available and I have only tested three types of pellet.

That said, I think there were two further models, the Mk2 and Mk3 but I don't think there was much difference, albeit the open sights were changed. Mine has an anti-bear trap device, which means the rifle, once cocked, cannot be uncocked unless fired but I think this design was common to all.

Mine also has the old leather washer and I wonder if this was changed to a synthetic washer in the Mk2 or Mk3 and, if so, if it produced any noticeable improvement.

The serial number on mine is 40691 and I wonder if anyone happens to know the date of production?

It is now merely a question of whether I seek a 22 version too - suffice to say I am delighted with the 177 (which the gunsmith told me was performing at about 10 to 10.5ft lb with S.domes). In due course, I will see how it performs at greater distances.

Rgds to all
A