Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repair advice on my 1914 BSA Sporting

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Here is the Titan #7 which will fit a HW50. It looks like a winner compared to my original pair. Maybe a slight less in diameter, better than too big, length I think looks almost perfect since these will take more preload than the originals. Maybe no cutting? We will see. A little under the weather today so the test will be coming up.

Looks like that might be the one. Will be interested to see how it performs after replacement.

Lakey

Experimenting is over. The new spring had a preload a little over an inch. I could get it closed but after it was together it was just too strong to cock, not even close. I took three coils off and it was a little longer than my first double spring I made. It was hard to cock but acceptable. I chronied it and it was 585 with 22 Hobbys 11.9 grain. It was just a little more powerful at 9 FPE than my double spring. However it was not that pleasant to shoot compared to the double spring. A lot of twang and jolt. I pulled it and put in my double spring and they are there till they break. They are very smooth and give more of a thump than a twang. No question the difference is with the double spring I matched the diameter of the piston so it is just like the original. The single coil is slightly thinner and has a little room to move. No need to work with it as long as the double coil works. Learned a lot about my rifle all good. These are wonderful rifles to work on so easy to take apart and the parts well made and simple. Not sure they ever really improved on this?

Last edited by 45flint; 19-01-2023 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Experimenting is over. The new spring had a preload a little over an inch. I could get it closed but after it was together it was just too strong to cock, not even close. I took three coils off and it was a little longer than my first double spring I made. It was hard to cock but acceptable. I chronied it and it was 585 with 22 Hobbys 11.9 grain. It was just a little more powerful at 9 FPE than my double spring. However it was not that pleasant to shoot compared to the double spring. A lot of twang and jolt. I pulled it and put in my double spring and they are there till they break. They are very smooth and give more of a thump than a twang. No question the difference is with the double spring I matched the diameter of the piston so it is just like the original. The single coil is slightly thinner and has a little room to move. No need to work with it as long as the double coil works. Learned a lot about my rifle all good. These are wonderful rifles to work on so easy to take apart and the parts well made and simple. Not sure they ever really improved on this?

the double spring system does seem to work well in these rifles then even when not counterwound.