Thread: Haenel 310 dropping balls!

Haenel 310 dropping balls!

Just bought the above and works really well, but it dry fires the last round.
    So - put 5 balls into the mag - it will fire 4 and dry fire the 5th. The un fired ball ends up on the floor - from where I can't fathom. Not the barrel - so must be under somewher. Probably when cocking but the effort means I can't put my hand under the rifle to check.
    At the moment I just remove the mag and re-load when one round left but love to know what's happening!

Now this is pure guesswork so I apologise if it is utter rubbish.
    Is the mag spring loaded i.e. the balls are loaded against spring pressure and the spring pushes them into the breech to be fired? If so, could it be a weak spring? Maybe the fifth ball is held very weakly by the spring, too weak to actually be in a position to fully enter the breach and when fired it does not pass down the barrel but back against spring pressure to exit the mag? Or even it then bounces back to roll down the barrel?
    As I say, most likely utter rubbish idea but it is worth checking out the spring if there is one.
    Good luck
    Phil

I think Phil might be on the right track. Do you have a second magazine you could try & compare the results with?

Well, I do have a second mag and it does the same thing.
    I think the gun screwdrivers have to come out and a little look and proggle required. But it seems really strange. I even took the mag out with one ball remaining - and there it is in the mag. Load - and dry fires and then it appears as if by Paul Daniels on the floor.

OK, the mystery deepens. I suggest you need to find out where the 5th ball is coming from:
    Does it happen if you only load 2 balls? i.e. is it always the last ball in the mag?
    Get an old towel or couple of old shirts etc so that you can fire a ball into them with no danger of the ball flying off somewhere.
    Cock and fire a ball or balls into the towels with the rifle at an angle i.e. not completely pointing down.
    Cock rifle slowly and try to see if and where the errant ball appears from as you close the bolt. If it has not appeared, fire the shot with muzzle pointing into towels and look carefully to what happens ... does ball exit muzzle ... from your description it will not do so? So where does it fall from? Could it just dribble out of the muzzle? Do you have to tilt the rifle to get it to exit the rifle?
    A bit of Sherlock Holmes is needed.

Now ... With mag in place, open the bolt ... I think you just pull it back to lock against mainspring pressure? Presumably the top of the magazine can be seen?? Where can the ball go once it is pushed from magazine into barrel? Can it exit the magazine other than to be caught by the loading probe?

Good luck.
    Cheers, Phil

This does sound odd, it will be interesting to hear more about this & what it turns out to be.

Just came across this article. Does it help at all? https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2016...rainer-part-2/

I suspect though if you have 2 mags and the problem occurs with both then it may be something to do with the rifle.

hope you find the problem bud

Thanks for the replies.
    Yup going to find exactly where the ball drops from, but I think it is the mag not feeing the last ball as loading - the first one seems to have no pressure on it.
    Doing a bit of research and going to strip it when I have enough know how.
    I'll keep you posted ad photograph the strip down