Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired Webley Junior-polish or reblue?

Tired Webley Junior-polish or reblue?

Hi Chaps,
    Last year I purchased a very cheap but working Webley Junior pistol...I never really took any notice of them before and I love it for plinking indoors when the weather is poor. (Liked it so much I bought a Tempest and a Nemesis as well!).
    Alas the gun has seen better days with no bluing left on it so my question is what would be the best course of action? Reblue-never done it before or polish (never done this either)? I do rather like the idea of a bright pistol so either way its a win.
    Your thoughts, experiences and advice is most welcome as I have a week off work coming up and with no decorating or chores planned this will be my little project.

If you go down the refinish route, try some G96 Blueing creme. Another member of this forum uses it regularly with some success.

I like the worn look part of its history and as long as it is tight ....no floppy barrel....and shoots well I would leave it ..but if you are going to refinish cold blue.....polished metal will rust

Thanks lads, looking like cold blue paste is the way to go... may have to find another pistol for blinging. Is there a supplier of pistol grips as one is cracked? I could have a go at wood I suppose but in this age of 3d printing someone may be churning them out?

I have come across a few old guns that looked pretty dire and so I set about a cold blue. Preparation is the key; but I guess you know that. Most turned out quite nicely and it was possible to get quite a nice deep blue on the various parts. I think a Webley Junior or Jaguar rifle was one such success. But sometimes it did not all go to plan. I remember one rifle ... maybe a pre-war Diana 27 ... where the barrel and cylinder blued quite nicely but the trigger block would not play ball no matter what I did. The resultant finish was not bad but could not match the cylinder. I could only assume that the trigger block was made of a different steel that needed a different blueing process. Live and learn I guess. I even wrote to the 'blue' manufacturer and they could offer no help.
    So ... have a play like I did by all means but just note that variations in finish do happen.
    Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil, I will give this a try... it will be an opportunity to learn how to strip a Junior as well. When I get home tonight I will order the G96 paste... I had some but thought I would never use it and gave it!
    Anyway I will give it a go... just trying to watch a vid on it despite being on the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Thanks lads, looking like cold blue paste is the way to go... may have to find another pistol for blinging. Is there a supplier of pistol grips as one is cracked? I could have a go at wood I suppose but in this age of 3d printing someone may be churning them out?
    Which one is cracked? - I have a spare left hand grip.

Steve.

Hi Steve, thats very good of you but my luck has kicked in as usual and its the right hand side. I once read an article on making a mould for these grips. Wood I think is the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I have come across a few old guns that looked pretty dire and so I set about a cold blue. Preparation is the key; but I guess you know that. Most turned out quite nicely and it was possible to get quite a nice deep blue on the various parts. I think a Webley Junior or Jaguar rifle was one such success. But sometimes it did not all go to plan. I remember one rifle ... maybe a pre-war Diana 27 ... where the barrel and cylinder blued quite nicely but the trigger block would not play ball no matter what I did. The resultant finish was not bad but could not match the cylinder. I could only assume that the trigger block was made of a different steel that needed a different blueing process. Live and learn I guess. I even wrote to the 'blue' manufacturer and they could offer no help.
    So ... have a play like I did by all means but just note that variations in finish do happen.
    Cheers, Phil
    Some Webley Service rifles and Junior pistols left the factory with a plum coloured finish on the trigger blocks and housings, and this was because of a chemical reaction between the bluing salts and the material the castings were made from.

i lik,e the look of them old

I do like the old look but this one looks "dirty". Probably just the way its pitted and aged ... will strip it down and reconsider.

Personally I hate ‘restored’ guns, it will never look like new and it’s only original once! I’d clean it with say a super gentle Scotchbrite or magic eraser and just keep it oiled and wrapped in VCI paper. It won’t rust this way. Junior grips are very simple to make and look great in walnut or similar.

Did some years ago below:

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...Webley-Junior)
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    Personally I hate ‘restored’ guns, it will never look like new and it’s only original once! I’d clean it with say a super gentle Scotchbrite or magic eraser and just keep it oiled and wrapped in VCI paper. It won’t rust this way. Junior grips are very simple to make and look great in walnut or similar.

Did some years ago below:

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...Webley-Junior)
    I could not agree more

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Just realised all the pics are dead on that grip topic I linked - I'll get them back up...
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

I had a read and would love to see the pictures Felix, you maybe onto something with just leaving the gun metal as is. Maybe I was just looking for something to do and thats why I posed the question on here.