Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley Stingray Carbine .22 (Birmingham)

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    The Titan XS #7 remained 250mm when released this morning. Fitted, even with lightweight pellets and no top hat it was removed immediately.

I cut the spring down to the same relaxed size as the old one inc top hat, which was -4 coils I believe, about 26 coils total.

Using the X3200, I got:

0.77g 11.9gr
    /7 = 639.07
    =10.8fpe

0.94g 14.5gr
    /6 = 589.83
    =11.2fpe
    Discount the two high numbers, avg 587.38 = 11.11fpe

It's definitely cracking with a louder sound now, which is annoying. I don't feel any real kick to it, but the increase in sound is frustrating. It could be the dieseling (which has begun to settle a little) or it could be the reality of running 10% higher fpe than with the old tired spring. Maybe the piston is just slapping that much harder even with (or because of) the metal top hat.

Main concern is that the X3200 is too unreliable in its figures, and reading much lower than is the case. I am getting consistent numbers within 5fps. I would be surprised if it was reading an entire 20fps out, but if it is then I need to get those numbers under 11fpe with the 14.5gr.

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Used at the range on Saturday and the rifle was a joy. Everything felt positive and the response was consistent. I wasn't shooting groups, as it was only a quick cola-cans-on-string plinking exercise with the better half.

Rifle seemed quieter than I realised. Maybe now that the dieseling has subsided it's an acceptable 'crack' with the silencer on the front.

Although the scragging should have set the spring, I'll run it in with a tin of pellets and then check on the chrono to be sure there'ss no increase on the power.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Excellent sounds good, glad it's worked out well.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in