Thread: Changing BSA Barrels and tuning Questions

Changing BSA Barrels and tuning Questions

Hi,

At some point I intend to acquire another BSA Supersport and was wondering if I purchased a .22 and wanted to put a .177 barrel on it how would this affect the power? I assume it would go down? Chambers sell the barrels for around £85, has anyone done this? I ask out of curiosity as I always seem to see the .22 advertised and rarely the .177 so is this a viable option?

I do rather like the Supersport carbine and I wonder how far anyone has gone with tuning one of these? I do have other rifles including a 77k but I find the little BSA more fun but would like to try the smaller calibre.

This is'nt a pressing issue as I am in no rush to do this... but I am going to have to act on the urge and I am attempting to gather as much information as possible whilst I gather the funds!

Thanks in advance - I have had some great advice over the years and your thoughts are much appreciated.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Hi,

At some point I intend to acquire another BSA Supersport and was wondering if I purchased a .22 and wanted to put a .177 barrel on it how would this affect the power? I assume it would go down? Chambers sell the barrels for around £85, has anyone done this? I ask out of curiosity as I always seem to see the .22 advertised and rarely the .177 so is this a viable option?

I do rather like the Supersport carbine and I wonder how far anyone has gone with tuning one of these? I do have other rifles including a 77k but I find the little BSA more fun but would like to try the smaller calibre.

This is'nt a pressing issue as I am in no rush to do this... but I am going to have to act on the urge and I am attempting to gather as much information as possible whilst I gather the funds!

Thanks in advance - I have had some great advice over the years and your thoughts are much appreciated.
    You'll lose a bit of power from the calibre swap and also gain a bit of recoil from upping the power again but like you say the Supersport is a lovely little rifle once tamed, I'd be tempted to run it at around the 10ftp mark, it'll be a lot nicer to shoot.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thanks for the info No hands... I suspected that changing a barrel may take things off kilter. Finding one in .177 local to me is proving to be a hard task and having one delivered to a RFD puts another 50 or 60 pounds onto the price. A tinbum tuning kit is around £50... has anyone used these?

BSA barrels are pretty much std so you could use a SH barrel off a Meteor,Lightning or Mercury.

I can’t comment on a tinbum kit but I use the welshwilly kits (woodfield gcp) and speak highly of them. The springs are cut down so you only have to fine tune with the slip washers to raise or lower the power.

Thats a good point... I have a few spare <eteor barrels here that could be used. The only product I have used (three times so far) from Welsh Willy are the triggers for Gamos... if the tune up kits work as good as those they will be remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Winceby View Post
    BSA barrels are pretty much std so you could use a SH barrel off a Meteor,Lightning or Mercury.

I can’t comment on a tinbum kit but I use the welshwilly kits (woodfield gcp) and speak highly of them. The springs are cut down so you only have to fine tune with the slip washers to raise or lower the power.
    Totally agree, I have a few WW kits in my rifles and actually two more to fit in others, highly recommended.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Its taken about two hours for the penny to drop here... if Meteor barrels fit are all BSA barrels 15.5mm width?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Its taken about two hours for the penny to drop here... if Meteor barrels fit are all BSA barrels 15.5mm width?
    Yes, unless it's a Mercury S barrel then it's 17mm.

Thanks for that No Hands... I'm looking through a few barrels now and plotting....

The differences the barrels have over the years and models is the slot under the breech block that the cocking lever pins into can vary in width, you may need to add a spacer or reduce one so the lever can fit in.

Thanks, I have a few, I have been looking for a Supersport carbine... now I can widen the search to just any Supersport.