Thread: Selective stock refinishing

Selective stock refinishing

I really don’t like refinishing stocks of vintage rifles. To me a pristine stock on an old gun just doesn’t look right? When i got this 1914 BSA, the stock was in good shape but had stains that kind of stripped the finish off in places? See below. I tried acetone but to no avail. I had to sand some dark stains out but didn’t sand deeply or the whole stock and made sure not to sand out the character marks. I then used Tru-Oil and blended it. It worked amazingly. You can’t tell any difference in finish between what I worked on and what I didn’t. Looks 100% better kind of surprised me really. Pics don’t show how good it feels and looks. The gloss matches my 1920 pristine BSA Light.

Before:

After

Last edited by 45flint; 17-01-2023 at 10:15 PM.

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Very nice. Must buy some tru-oil for the Stingray.

that looks good bud

That looks very good indeed. My Mk1 airsporter was sanded and walnut oiled and the butt end of the 3 pieces has come up lovely,. I shall refinish my 1930s club special and be dammed. It's already got varnish, paint marks and a chip. I don't think yours looks out of place at all. Tru oil for me.

That looks great! I've got a couple that need that done.

A friend of mine uses a similar trick, but uses Tru-Oil thinned with mineral spirits in a sort of "French polish" technique, which can achieve some amazingly subtle blending. It sometimes takes a lot of coats, but he has worked near miracles in resuscitating patchy old stocks.