Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original / Diana 35 challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    I don't have any Dianas with the Original logo, or the FOREIGN marking, but only US imports with Diana, RWS, Hy-Score, or Peerless logos.

Several of my guns are marked MADE IN WEST GERMANY, and others only MADE IN GERMANY. The ones with WEST included are definitely older. The oldest gun I have without the WEST is a model 5 pistol with wood grip/frame, which disappeared from catalogs by 1965, according to Mr. Griffiths's outstanding new book. I have several others with MADE IN GERMANY that were definitely made decades before 1990.

So...if (and it's a huge "IF!") the date for changing to the MADE IN GERMANY mark on UK imports, corresponds to that for the US, it considerably pre-dates the actual re-unification of Germany.

Why that might be...I have no idea!
    Thanks for the reply. A sea of confusion

According to Wikipedia (I know...) "Made in West Germany" started being marked instead of "Made in Germany" generally after a German court case in 1973, when it was decided that it didn't make it clear which country it had been made in So that came in after the period I was interested in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_Germany

When Germany reunited , "Made in Germany" would have become correct again.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Weren't the Original rifles stamped with the month and year of manufacture on the side of the cylinder above the trigger or is my memory playing tricks?
    Yes but not at the time the rifle I'm interested was made. See my opening post.