Thread: Benjamin 312

Benjamin 312

I resealed my 312 today, it was holding air but it really needed a clean out and the piston length adjusting. The pump arm is more secure now and doesn't drop down once the head space was reduced and a new pivot pin fitted.
    The pump tube and the valve seats were polished and cleaned out with alcohol in preparation for the new seals.
    Because it won't be used a lot and kept well lubricated I replaced the seals with original rubber.
    Sometimes the forward lead washer gets really compressed and is hard to remove it can leave slithers of lead in the valve. Rather than jabbing around with a sharp pick and causing gouges, the threads on a brass cleaning rod pull it out in one piece.

It's really great to see these old rifles being refreshed so future generations (and us oldies of course!) can enjoy them. My 1960 312 is my favourite pumper, nice carbine length, easy to pump and a good hard hitter.

We are just the caretakers while we are on this earth. They are hard hitters mine retains a bit of air even with a new hammer spring fitted. The old seals were rock hard, I couldn't even deform the rubber with a finger nail.
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 21-01-2023 at 08:34 PM.

looks well James and not a bad thing to retain air as they're quite pokey

Thanks Ped. As AllanM said they are power houses, especially for something that's old and smaller than a BSA Meteor.