Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: warning deben battery packs

warning deben battery packs

just had a problem with deben i got 2 sets of batterys + lamps ( lightforce 170 + 12v 14ah battery ) for me and a mate 7 month ago and only used my batterys 5 times and 2 of them thimes battery went flat within 30 mins so was told to send them back to deben for them to have a look and now they said they will not replace them even that they say they faulty

only sent them back to main serplyer for a quicker turnaround as told buy deben + arther ******

rang arthur ****** ( where i got them from )who going to solve it but i wouldent buy direct from deben as i talked to the manger and he said it says in the back of instruction book batterys or not covered under warranty ( havent read it cause i sent it back with batterys ) but ive got warranty card and it says nothing about batterys not been covered only beams and bulb have only a 30 warranty and all other products or covered it says

anyone 1 had this problem and the worse thing is if they were not covered why say send them back at a cost of £8.50

johnny
    Last edited by johnny4; 19-11-2005 at 02:25 PM.

I know its no help but struggle to tell you of a good experience with any battery. They never last long and some take a recharge properly if you run them totally empty in use. I bought a new one recently with my pigeon whirly gig and a used one off a chap selling pigeon equipment in a local game fair. Neither lasted more than 2 charges; I am really annoyed - the game fair guy must have known he was selling duff gear.

all my batterys have lasted ages never had a problem till now all other where not from debens by the way but theys batterys where damaged when they arrived so i rang the company where they come from and they sad they would send me out some new fuse conecters as they where both smashed on both batterys and after 5 uses 2 where 30 mins long with battery on and of and deben saying they or faulty i will take this to court if i have to no one will treat me like a mug and i now it only £80 but how many other people have they treated this way and they have just walked away

johnny

If u run a wet or dry cell battery down below 1volt per cell it will never fully recharge.eg 12v batteries are made up of 6,2v cells so never run them below 6v.
    Best bet is to run the lamp at half power for 30 mins or so then fully recharge every 2-3 months,if the battery is within date/fully charged when you bought it you should get about 5 years from it.
    i cycled mine about 3 times this summer.
    90% of my money went on fast women and slow horses, the rest i just wasted. George Best.

and im just going to do it now while i think about it
    90% of my money went on fast women and slow horses, the rest i just wasted. George Best.

thanks for that ill do that next time but it dident matter what i done with these they where faulty just hope/wish to see deben on watchdog would make my day

johnny

Johnny4,

are the batteries in question Sealed Lead acid type?

If so below are some battery facts and a few basic rules to keep them in good condition.

1. Most new SLA/Gel Batts need a 24hr charge BEFORE they are used for the first time. ( if you don't do this you can prevent the battery from attaining it's full capacity )

2. They build up to full capacity after 6 - 10 charge / discharge cycles

3. As stated you shouldn't drop the batteries onload voltage below 6volts

4. Gel batteries will recover from a deep discharge better than an SLA

5. ALWAYS recharge the battery after every use.

6. If you don't need to use the battery, try and cycle it at least once every 1-2 months.

7. Always use the correct charger, car chargers ( unless they have a Gel/SLA setting ) are NOT suitable as they are not voltage stabilised - Gel/SLA batts can cope with quite a high current during charging but can be damaged by overvoltage ( max 14.4 volts , ideally max 14.1v )

8. Occasionally a new battery can have a `bad' cell , this usually shows up within the first 1 - 2 months.

If you need to have a 12v SLA/Gel battery tested for capacity / bad cell, charge it fully and take it along to a reputable mobility dealer - the better ones ( like us ) will have a Alpha Bat or Surechecker tester, and should be able to give you a fairly accurate capacity check ( they may charge for this service - we don't )

Hope this is useful,

Norm.

I've just reread post 3 and notice that you say the batteries were damaged on arrival, if they've been dropped or exhibit stress marks / `dents' to the cases this can be enough for the internal lead plates to be dislodged and short out - effectively a `bad cell'. We often get this if batteries are sent via courier ( one in particular ), we won't fit a dented battery to a mobility product as nine times out of ten it will fail prematurly.
    Last edited by Mr.Fixit-Norm; 19-11-2005 at 10:19 PM.

Jackel is offline Welding guru and moderator to the stars
    Deban battery for my tracker gun light £25 quid

Maplins 6v battery and charger for it £10 quid

And they are the same batterys,model numbers everything
    The impossible I do immediately, miracles take 24 hours..

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE,IT JUST COSTS MORE

Quote Originally Posted by jackel
    Deban battery for my tracker gun light £25 quid

Maplins 6v battery and charger for it £10 quid

And they are the same batterys,model numbers everything
    What is more, you can go in Maplins and see what you're buying - you can at least check for damage before purchase.

and i bet at maplins if they faulty they will change them

thanks for the help

johnny

had a phone call from arther carters who was sorting it out and he said debens wouldent budge and replace them so he said he will replace them

glad i went to arther carters now if i went staight to deben id be up the creek without a paddle heading to the small claims court

johnny

SNAKEBITE is offline Somebody must love me.......
    Like the sound of the maplins battery.
    How do I go about seeing if Maplins do one for my Deben?
    I AM NOT RACIST, I HAVE A COLOURED TELLY

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SNAKEBITE
    Like the sound of the maplins battery.
    How do I go about seeing if Maplins do one for my Deben?
    same battery mate your on a winner
    AAMAN

Smile you son of a bitch.

It usually turns out theres two sides to every story, I have not had a problem with Deben

What exactly is the problem with the battery that Deben say is a fault???

Did you read the directions before using them as many people dont bother then wonder why batteries wont last

baz

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by baz

Did you read the directions before using them as many people dont bother then wonder why batteries wont last

baz
    Class
    AAMAN

Smile you son of a bitch.