Thread: Bullet lube mix

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I use beeswax and Tallow, 50/50, have done for years and had no major issues. I buy shredded white beeswax from a local(Ish) craft shop as it mixes easier and a kilo of Tallow from . Warm it up in a pan over hot water and mix it with an old spoon, pour out into a round old pie dish with, in my case 40/350 heads up to the level you need and hey presto! Lubed heads. It will take you a while to work out how much you need but any left over can be used again.
    Word of advice, don't heat directly over a flame/ring/whatever as it is pretty flammable.

I forget the proper cookery term for heating over a saucepan of water but I'm sure someone on here will know!

It'd be bain-marie in Chefish, but I think it's colloquially known as a double boiler.

I use beeswax and sheeps tallow, makes it a bit more heat resistant for summer days.

Bullet lube mix

Melted beeswax with a little paraffin added to the users requirements regarding softness. Keeps things simple and works well.

Quote Originally Posted by BaskervilleDog View Post
    I use beeswax and Tallow, 50/50, have done for years and had no major issues. I buy shredded white beeswax from a local(Ish) craft shop as it mixes easier and a kilo of Tallow from . Warm it up in a pan over hot water and mix it with an old spoon, pour out into a round old pie dish with, in my case 40/350 heads up to the level you need and hey presto! Lubed heads. It will take you a while to work out how much you need but any left over can be used again.
    Word of advice, don't heat directly over a flame/ring/whatever as it is pretty flammable.

I forget the proper cookery term for heating over a saucepan of water but I'm sure someone on here will know!
    Just realised I am missing the term , as in "and a kilo of Tallow from...."

As for a pie dish I use the single man's standby, a Fray Bentos Steak Pie! I must have dozens of them!

Quote Originally Posted by BaskervilleDog View Post
    Just realised I am missing the term , as in "and a kilo of Tallow from...."

As for a pie dish I use the single man's standby, a Fray Bentos Steak Pie! I must have dozens of them!
    The dreaded evil-bay must be a banned word then?